can anyone describe what back labor pains feel like?

Can you experience these feelings before you actually go into labor?

momma_bear11

Asked by momma_bear11 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• IT FEELS LIKE YOUR BACK IS GONNA EXPLODE... ON EVERY SPASM.
    THEN IT LESSONS AND THEN IT GETS STRONGER ALL THE WAY TILL YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT SOMEONE TO RIP YOUR SPIN OUT OF YOUR BODY.

I highly suggest you get an epidural if you have back labor.
    JESUSCARES4YOU2

Answer by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Lol I so agree with JESUSCARES4YOU2, it took getting an epidural for me to feel better. I hurt so bad I couldn't get up and and walk. It also is a lot of pressure on your back.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well...I can tell you this. You wouldn't be sitting at your computer. Back labor sucks. You can't stand up or sit down or even lay on your sides. It just feels like someone has taken a ball bat to your back. It sucks. Go to the hospital and they can give you some meds so atleast you can be comfortable some what.....Good luck
    lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Back Labor would be when labor is on. BUT you can have back pains and/or contractions prior to Active Labor. You might be noticing baby trying to move or getting moved-into position by the uterus.
    You can do some things to avoid back labor if you think it might be a concern.
    Do you know baby's position?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had back labor for 18 hours. I had an epidural that did not work. My husband and sister took turns pushing on my back. I had bruises and they had to take pain meds for wrist pain.
    It was awful. The most excruciating pain ever. And I had three kids. Only one back labor. It is VERY VERY different from regular labor. I had a nurse come in and tell me "Oh honey it isn't that bad." My sister whirled around and yelled, if you have never had back labor you don't know what you are talking about. GET THE HELL OUT. (Dear sis broke her tailbone giving birth with one of her kids!) Anyway, you would know back labor from regular labor. Trust me. Anyway, good luck!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had 24 hours of back labor. It felt like a crushing, twisting pain in my lower back. If you get menstrual cramps in your back, that's the exact sensation, only MUCH stronger! I've been through some pain in my life, but I was the woman screaming and swearing through contractions at 4cm. I did have an epidural about 18 hours into labor. I had planned on going natural, but that didn't happen!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The best things for me, to help with the pain (aside from the epidural) were the birthing ball and the shower. I couldn't handle anyone touching my back.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009