• In the Spotlight:

What does mucus plug look like?

Ive been having alot more discharge then usual does this mean my mucus plug is next or is it the same as discharge or what? please explain to me..... im 35 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it can come out in peices, or a big blob. It can also come our early on in pregnancy and regenerate itself (it regenerates in a week, so it's not always an indication of labor etc).

If it comes out in pieces it looks like small mucousy blobs/strings that may be tinted with pink.. or it comes out whole and looks like a giant ball of snot, again sometimes tinted with pink lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I remember when I first saw my mucous plug. I was really embarassed and didn't know what it was. I thought it was a giant piece of snot that fell out of my vagina on my leg! Its kinda funny now that I look back at it. I called my sister inlaw wondering what it could be. You'll know it when you see it. Its really gross and slimy. It is more of a clump then just discharge. Good luck and God Bless.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Completely agree with celticreverie

Loss of Mucous Plug: As the cervix begins to thin and open, the "cork" of mucus that seals the opening of the uterus becomes dislodged. This gelatinous chunk of mucus can be passed through the vagina a week or 2 before the first real contractions or just as labor begins http://proverbs-women.com/signsoflabor.html

DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 8:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009