• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cesarean vs Vaginal Birth

Tomorrow (based on the outcomes of a few tests) My Dr and I will decide whether or not to induce. He said that because I show no signs of labor (effacement/dilation) my risk of cesarean would increase to 50%. I want to know if anyone has had both and how they compare.

 
Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 7 (166 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • she said based on test results, the baby may not be safe in there... i was induced and i didnt need a c-section
    aliciatron

    Answer by aliciatron at 8:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • I have only had vaginal but I was induced. Good luck!
    MizAnn

    Answer by MizAnn at 8:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • If you have no signs of labor, it simply means that your baby is not ready yet. I would avoid inducement at all costs. Docs are quick to induce for some reason which results in horrible contractions, epidurals and C sections. I was given pitocin and an epidural with my first baby. They even broke my bag of water. I ended in a C section due to all the interventions. It was a very bad experience. This time around, I'm having a natural homebirth with a midwife with no interventions. I would suggest waiting and letting your body do it's thing.
    hgibsonorc

    Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • I was induced twice at 39 weeks because of the size of the babies. I had vaginal births both times. (the third...I went into labor on my own at 36 weeks, still needed a little kick from pitocin and had a vaginal birth)
    TiccledBlue

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • If you're not over 40 weeks, it might be best to wait until after you are. I had absolutely no labor symptoms whatsoever, I had no contractions and I never dilated past 2cm. I was induced at 40w6d, and I had a fantastic vaginal delivery. I was TERRIFIED of a c-section though, but my labor and delivery couldn't have gone better. The chances of a c-section do go up, but they don't necessarily guarantee you'll need one.
    caitxrawks

    Answer by caitxrawks at 8:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • Well, I wasn't induced and I didn't have a c section either, but my ob wanted to induce me at 41 weeks. I would not have wanted that and for me labor started at 40 weeks, 6 days and my son was born exactly on week 41.
    I know you want that baby out, but why hurry itm when everything else is fine? It'll come on it's own time. How many times are there moms were they want to keep the baby in longer, but they are born premature?? I think, we need a more natural look at birth again...
    Spatz03

    Answer by Spatz03 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • I think you need to just wait this out a little bit, depending on how far along you are.

    I was a week overdue when we induced for the first time, and nothing happened. My doc suggested we wait, which is what we decided to do. A week later, we tried induction again and it failed. During the entire process I never dialated, and I only effaced to 80 %.

    The next day we went in for a checkup and my blood pressure had sky-rocketed to 160/100; I had horrible sciatic pain and could barely walk, and I was rapidly swelling. We decided that a c-section was our best route and opted to go for that at two weeks, 1 day overdue.

    I am having another c-section based on my situation with this child at 39.5 weeks, but recovery from surgery is hard. If this is your first LO or you aren't past your EDD, I'd wait it out unless there were serious medical reason for inducing, but that's JMO. GL to you no matter what!!!
    MammaMiaMA

    Answer by MammaMiaMA at 8:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009