Bernie Madoff! Do you feel bad for the people who lost their money?

I feel bad of course for the foundations and charities caught up in the scandal but as far as the rich jerks who lost money I could care less. I am working class and I live in a very rich area, where these people would summer/vacation and they would treat the year-round working people like crap. Ive heard stories where I live that some have had to cancel weddings and country club memberships. I don't feel bad for them at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not bad, but, empathy for what happened to them. Just because they are rich does not mean some one like Madoff has the right to steal from them.
    Anonymous

• Well, aren't you a little ball of sunshine?

I feel bad for anyone who has been duped by this guy - NOBODY knew he was so awful. He was their friend, a respected and referenced individual who was supposed to know what he was doing.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• All in all I do not feel bad for those involved. I suppose I should. But it is hard to imagine some feelings for someone I do not know about money, when they had millions with the intention of making more millions in a manner that was a little sketchy to begin with. When a financial adviser or broker comes to you and offers an investment it has to be open to the public, other than an IPO which many miss out on, and if someone suspected it was not open to all then they subconsciously knew it was a little below bar. So, no, I do not feel sorry for them because they thought they would make millions on something not available to the commoner.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I do feel bad, I don't care if you are rich or poor, being ripped off is awfull and wrong! Not all of them are old money, some worked really hard to get what they have, and then to know that everything you worked for...or your family worked for is gone. It has to hurt regardless of your finacial situation. Let's not forget the charities that were affected by ONE mans greediness. So in essence the rich deserve to be robbed because they have more money then me?.......I don't think so!!!!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well my parents are those rich jerks who have lost money and have had to cancel things they have worked hard for. They came from nothing, got education and built a good life with alot of money in the bank and in investments. Its funny to me how many people are resentful and jealous of those with money and have little empathy for them.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yep. I feel badly for them. Rich people work for their money. Just because they have more of it, doesn't mean that they should be ripped off or swindled.

Saying that you don't care is like one of saying that we don't care if it were to happen to you.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 8:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I hope for all the people who don't care i hope that this will never happen to you.
    Anonymous

• Even though you may not sympathize with wealthy individuals who lost a lot of money, really, you should! The people who invested their millions with Madoff OWNED businesses, hospitals, charities, and entertainment/recreational outlets, and EMPLOYED 1000's of people. If these business owners are unable to recoup their losses, guess who will be feeling it...yes....you and me!

Just as an aside HSBC is the bank that is responsible for ALL retail chain credit cards (just look on the bank of your retail charge cards)...they LOST over $1 BILLION investing with Madoff! If you think this won't affect your interest rates, think again! This scheme is going to have a far reaching trickle down effect!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Stock market is a risk. A risk in WHO you trust, where you invest, and how much control you give up. I can't feel sorry for people who played the game and got taken. I think the law needs to persecute him, and I think these people deserve whatever assests he has accumlated, once he has been found guilty. Is it enough. No. But, again you the the Wall Street game, you assume the risks.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Im not saying it won't affect me, Im already poor so what the hell do I care. Now they can see how the rest of us live. As I said these are the people who vacation and summer where I live that would treat you like crap. They would treat you like you didn't have the right to breath, total douche bags. So its hard for me to sympathize, these are people who have huge houses with guest cottages and people where I live, 2 to 3 people rent a room for $1,000 a month each, thats right a room. Ive worked for these people, the pay crap and treat you like crap. The would complain about anything from toilet paper to make of the grill that they will only use for a week tops.

Anonymous