at what age do kids start knowing no is NO and when to put them on time out!!?

its a confusing question but my son is 13 mo and he is a lil bratty one!! at wat age do they know what time out is?because i try it but then i hear him screaming and i feel so so bad because i feel like he still doesnt know whats going on.....

nessao7

Asked by nessao7 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I knew mine knew what no meant if I'd say it and they'd grin, do it again, then stop and look at me expecting the NO. that happened at about 11 months with all 3 of my kids.

they only "know what's going on" if they are taught. It's all about repetition and consistancy. How does a child learn their colors? you keep telling them "this is red" "this is blue"
    Anonymous

• 13 months is too early for the time out. at this point he's just starting a little to understand what no means.. it's a little too early for a punishment like that, he won' t understand it.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i started time out around 16 months. I can say it a million times but until she looks at me i'm not sure she hears me. If she doesn't listen once she's looked me in the face then i know it's on purpose. For mine, it's been getting her attention. As soon as you know they know the difference then i think it's okay to start time out but for a 13 month old a minute will be more than enough.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I usually start timeouts around 18 months. My thirteen month old knows when I say no but I don't think he would understand timeouts yet. If he is about to do, touch something that will hurt him (such as getting to close to the hot stove or about to pull something down on himself), he gets a little tap on his bottom to get his attention and is told no and then redirected. If isn't something that is going to hurt him (like taking his brother's toy) he is told no and why (your brother had it first, it isn't nice to take his toy) and then is redirected (given another toy).
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I believe that they know at any age when you are serious. They also can understand yes and no by the way that you say them. If you use a stern voice they know. If they are getting punished they will cry because it hurts their feelings not because they do not know what is going on. I would start now and be consistant. I would also suggest that since your little one is so young still you should put him into time out where you can see him and make sure that he knows that this is timeout. With my daughter I put her in her bed and she sits there until she calms down....Then she will get up and come tell me she is done and I make her apologize for whatever she did to whomever she did it to. I hope that this helps with your little one.
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 9:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009