If a bank made an error and gave you back $3K to much, How many would give it back??

Went to the bank and they made an error and gave me $3000 to much back. I had a hard time taking it back, but in the end I did. Just curious as see what everyone else would do??

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't want to take it back (who wouldn't want to spend 3K?) but I would take it back anyway.
    Nicole27

Answer by Nicole27 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would take it back. I definatly woudnt spend it! I might have let it sit in my account for a few weeks cause banks usually realize their own mistakes. Wait was it cash!! Or did it get deposited into your bank account?? If it was cash that bank has some counting problems.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would for sure return it. As soon as they find the error- if it hasn't been returned you are responsible to give it back or face legal repercussions. I would not want to go to prison for someone else's mistake.
    bramlettljb

Answer by bramlettljb at 11:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• hell yea i woulda spent it. especly now that i really need it
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would have told the bank. Whats the point in spending it if it isn't yours. The second you spend it they'll realize their mistake and you'll be 3K in the whole plus possible arrested.
    countrymom

Answer by countrymom at 1:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Take it back. They will eventually find the error and get the money back anyway. You are responsible for giving back any money given to you in error. If you spend it, it's the same in the laws eyes as stealing the money because you know it wasn't yours.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 1:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• How the hell did that happen? That's awesome. You should take it back and ask for a freaking reward. LMAO.
    Anonymous

• Give it ALL BACK! We had a bank error once and somehow and extra $1000 ended up in our account. We didn't mention anything, and the next month, it was taken out. They will catch the error, and if you spend it, your spending your money, not that money. :)
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 6:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Do the right thing, even when you can't be caught, even when you think no one's looking.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:12 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• you have to give it back. One it isn't yours, two it's out and out stealing and three the bank teller who made the error could lose his or her job...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2008