Is It True???

I heard that if you scratch your stomache instead of rubbing it that it causes stretch marks is that true or is someone pulling my leg?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stretch marks are caused by your skin stretching or trying to retract to quickly. But they occur more from stretching to quick and certain lotions help because of the elastin and collagen in the lotion but it's not the act of rubbing or scratching that does it.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yep someone has heard too many old wives tales. The above answer is right. Don't listen to that crap about scratching..just use lotion and keep hydrated and also realize that sometimes its out of your control.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Stretch Marks are 90% hereditary, meaning if your mom had them, chances are you will too. They can also be caused by gaining too much weight too fast. But someone is pulling your leg, theres no way scratching would cause it.
    Anonymous

• Stretch marks are tears in the skin so if you scratch skin that is already pulled tight, then yes, you canb make them worse. And lotions don't really help because they are topical and the stretch marks are actually damage to the lower layers. Gaining weight slowly and steadily, and staying hydrated are the best ways to prevent stretch marks.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Also, lotions may help reduce the apperance, but they will NOT prevent them, no matter what anyone tells you
    Anonymous

• Yes, drinking lots of water is great for your skin and doubly great for your pregnancy . . . so drink up girl. Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula in a jar is really greasy . . . I used it every night before bed or any time that i knew I would just be hanging around the house and the regular palmers lotion for before I was going out. Also, St. Ives has a Collagen & Elastin body wash that I used, I got huge and I have no stretch marks at all. They certainly can't hurt!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• good answers above, except no one has mentioned an important factor: you need at least 2 servings of healthy fats in your daily diet. that could be 2 tablespoons of butter, or olive oil. it doesn't prevent sms, but it will keep your skin supple. remember that your vagina has to stretch too!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009