how do i deal with my baby in the nicu emotionaly? he was born 12 weeks early and its taren me apart

mommyof3at19

Asked by mommyof3at19 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was in the NICU when she was born and it was the worse feeling in the world! I remember the day I was discharged going home to a house that was ready for her and I didn't have her. Needless to say I cried like a baby!! However, I can tell you that it does get a little easier. You just have to try to keep reminding yourself that you are lucky you have him and he is in there getting the best care. Visit as much as you can for feedings or just to hold or touch him! Sing to him and talk to him. That's what I did. You will feel many different emotions. Just remember they are ALL NORMAL! You will feel sad, angry, frustrated and scared plus many more. Ask alot of questions! It is your right to know everything! !
    Hang in there! You will get through this.
    DLS0702

Answer by DLS0702 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• visit him a lot, BE INFORMED, make sure you understand everything the dr's are doing, it may help you. also i heard if you sing to a baby in the nicu they do better
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• OMG I'm sorry. I keep hoping mine will come early but then i know I don't want it that early for this reason. Just pray and stay by his side and give all the support you can. What do the doctor's say about his prognosis?
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When my son was there, the only thing that helped was that I put family pictures in his "crib" taped where he could kidof see it. I went twice a day and nursed him. I brought milk for the nurses, and called them once in between my visits. The one cooment said be well informed, and I say YES. When they think he is ready to go home, make sure they have done all the right tests, and have another doctor double check. It sounds insane, but some doctors think premature lungs are not a big deal if they can nurse and breathe unassisted, and another might order that extra test. ALSO, find out what if any stuff you could ned, like a breathing monitor that goes off if there is 15 seconds without a breath, stuff like that, to make you and baby safer for when he//she comes home.
    nicolelucille

Answer by nicolelucille at 8:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• thank you so much he was born december 30th 08 and he wont be able to come home until min. march 23rd 09 his orig. due date and its very hard on me
    mommyof3at19

Answer by mommyof3at19 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009