Natural or Epidural..or other pain meds?n

I have decided to do natural childbirth if I can manage to. I'm just freaked out about being numb from the waste down. For those of you who have done both, what would you say? And whats the latest you have received an epidural and did you get any other pain medication that worked in place of the epidural...how does that affect the baby? My childbirth teacher said if I make to 8cm not to bother because I'm at the hardest part and not much longer left to go.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 8:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• go for natural. If you prepare yourself mentally you can do it. I hated my epideral.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i had a wonderful epidural. And before my epidural i was having horrible back labor, it felt like my back was breaking in half. They gave me some shot first and then when i was loopy they gave me the epidural. It took wonderful and i wasn't number from the waste down. I still had feeling, but i just couldn't feel pain and my legs were a little itchy, but i could still tell when people would touch them and all. And my daughter didn't latching on properly right away while trying to breastfeed and they said that might have to do with the epidural, but other than that, i loved my epidural. But if you want to go natural then really brush up on techniques to get threw pain, and best of luck to ya.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have done both. I had my first three natural or shall I say without an epi. I did use other pain relief and that got me through. It is true if you make it to 8 then you basically are almost there anyway and anything they give you wont go into effect until after or very close to delivery. My last epidural birth was in 2005 and they didnt do it right. I ended up feeling pain on half my body and then now have a lipoma on my back. With my 4th the epidural was awesome I will admit lol, but I was induced with pitocin and the pain was very bad, worse then going naturally. If you can go without an epi I would choose that. If the pains bad get the epi early.

Answer by gemgem at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you work hard to do your best through pregnancy (avoiding coffee, drugs, etc.), then keep with it through labor, too. What I know about the narcotic drugs and administration is more scary than contractions. Besides, I have had natural births and know that it IS mind-over-matter!
    :-)
    Do what you can to learn about the drugs. And about options for coping naturally. With the help of a doula, midwife, birth tub, and confidence, you can do ANYthin
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• after 6 hours of total pain on my hips i got a epidural i was like you worried about the baby with it but she was totally fine and it so helped with the pain big time but for sure wait it out if you can i will be doing the same again with my second wait and see if i really need it some do and others don't but don't but your self threw too much if you don't have too
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 8:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am going to go as far as I can without one. I am not against getting one, just want to try without one. Good Luck!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I've had both..... Natural with my first..... Epidural with the second (bit that was followed by an emergency C-section). I was going for natural both times. Yes, the pain is bad, but I exercised (including stretches and kegels* ....what made the difference both times was being prepared mentally and emotionally. I guess what I remember is that the pain, although bad, comes and goes. It begins, spikes then falls. The contractions rarely lasted more than a couple of minutes..... Considering natural birth is the way we're made, it's better to go natural if you can. However, you know your body best. Don't try to take on the whole labor and delivery process as one big action....it's baby steps, literally. One contraction at a time. And the rest in between is the most grateful rest you'll have....until that baby sleeps through the night.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I did two deliveries no epidural, and two with an epidural. I would say my experience with the epidural was much more pleasant. It is entirely your decision. Please be aware that there is a point of no return, where you can no longer request an epidural. Also, there is no contest, and you won't be given a prize for putting up with the pain! Taking pain medications is not a bad thing, doesn't make you a bad mother and is not irresponsible! Do what is best for you. I personally don't think you can make that decision without knowing what you are dealing with.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 9:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When I had my son, I did an epidural. I really regret it. I got induced and immediately my sons heart rate dropped. I had to stay on my left hand side during my whole labor, I couldn't get up to walk or even have anything to drink . Although I was happy when they gave me the epidural after being in labor for 15 hours.. my body didn't progress from there. I remained dilated at 4 until I went into an emergency C- Section. They ended up giving me more epidural for the surgery and then I couldn't walk for almost 48 hours after that! I couldn't even lift up my legs. It turned out to be a horrific experience. I wish I trusted my body to do it naturally from the beginning. Now my chances of of even having a vaginal birth are lowered for the rest of my life...
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have had an epidural with both kids. I will likely get one this time around as well. Do whatever you are comfortable with - but don't feel like you're any less of a Mom or lose your birthing badge for taking the epidural. It's STILL giving birth. You're no less of a woman for accepting the epidural. Do whats right for you. They are intimidating, and if you can do without - cool! Just remember ultimately the only important thing is having a wonderful, healthy baby after carrying that soccer player around for the last 9 months. Be flexible that things may not go *exactly* as you planned, because thats how life is, it rarely ever goes according to plan. Good luck Momma!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009