Whats wrong with my kiddo

DS is 2, he has been sick since Oct. First it was croup, URI , stomach bug, URI, bronchitis, URI, now croup and URI. Currently he is on his 6th antibiotic since October. I am concerned that there may be some "underling" issue *(URI--upper respitory infection).

Qucik History DS was born at 37 weeks via c-section. ( I had Pre E ) HE had jaundise, and feeding issues from birth. Shortly after he was diagonised with GERD, and Apena. All of the above problems have gone away since then.

Anyone? Any ideas? Please help I am really stressed.

( We are going back to the doctor tomorrow to see if it has turned into peunoma, as he is wheezing)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• They should see if he has asthma, or have them check for auto immune diseases.

Answer by gemgem at 8:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It sounds as though he doesn't have any resistance and probably needs to stay away from other people until he gets better. Perhaps he should be seen by a specialist- an ENT. When I had URI's all the time it ended up being a chronic sinus infection and surgery helped, not that that is what your litlte guy has. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Here's one stab in the dark. While doing research after my first two spent the majority of their first 2 years on antibiotics, I discovered that when giving the meds, that soda's and any drinks that are acidic actually kill the medicine in the gut. Its the same as not having had that dose. How many times did I give my kids a sip of coke as a chaser? Juice does the same thing.
    Next, in learning how antibiotics work, I discovered that in order for the medicine to work, it had to remain in the body. Antibiotics do not kill the bacteria, it keeps it from multiplying. The body has to do the work.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• continued....The pediatrician that I used with the next 2 children gave antibiotics around the clock and on a regular schedule. I know, its alot of trouble. But when I gave my last kids their meds on time and around the clock, they were well at the end of one prescription, unlike the others who had to repeat their antibiotics again and again. Doctors have diff. views about this and most go the easy way out and say "give it during the day, anytime." But truly, this worked for me and I opted to go the extra mile. I had to fight for my own kids health and it worked. :) Hope this gives you some help. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Def. ask your doctor for a referal to a specialist. As a mother it would make me angry that my son has been in so many times in the last few months and the doctor isnt starting to question. Ask to see a specialist then I would start looking for another doctor.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry sweetie, will say a prayer for your little one.

I've read though that c-section babies tend to have more of a history of respiratory issues early in life because the fluid is not expressed from their lungs as it would be in a vaginal birth.
    Anonymous

• Original Poster here:

I kinda thought he would need a specialist. I will bring this up tomorrow at the doctor.

His antibiotic is every 12 hours and we do it at 8 and 8. We are a soda free and almost Juice free home. He does get a Beech Nut DHA Juice every now and then but I dont think I have given him one since this sickness we are on.

I remember reading about c-section babies having higher respiratirt, asthma, and allergy rates. :(

I welcome these thoughts it gives me something to think about and something to bring up to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• asthma, allergies, just prone to illness. ask the doc for more info. if he just says it happens, see someone else. My dd has had several bad colds, bronchiitis, bronchiolitis and requried a nebulizer for her wheezing. It's not contast though, like your child seems to be. He may need a nebulizer or inhalier of some sort or figure out what the allergy is. just ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• His body is really out of balance with all the meds and needs it's healthy bacteria back. Nutrition plays a big part in illness and recovery. Make sure you are feeding him unprocessed, real foods, cut out as much sugar as you can. Illness thrives in sugar. If what you are eating comes with a label, avoid it. Eat healthy fats (butter, olives/olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc.) It's strict, but... Seek a metabolic physician &/or a holistic nutritionist.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 10:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• One more thing: eat whole-fat plain (if tolerable) yogurt to replace the good bacteria he needs in his body.
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009