White presence vs Black swagger?

I've noticed several people in the posts regarding the race and heritage of Obama saying things to the effect of, "he uses his black swagger" and "when he needs the black vote he's all streets" and "when he needs the white vote he uses his white presence and flaunts his white family to his white supporters." What is the difference? If you are an intelligent and articulate person that is who you are b/c of how you were raised and whether or not you decided to take advantage of the education that you were offered and visa versa is true. So why do people make it seem as if you can "act white" or "act black." You can only act as the man or woman you are meant to be.

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Aren't we all a little like that? When in Rome, do as the Romans do! We all act like the group we are with at the time! When I was at work, in a wealthy surrounding, I went with the flow. Dressed and acted appropriately. When I'm on my deck, I'm having Margaritas and laughing it up. When I'm at Harvard Medical School dinners I'm talking medical issues. We all adapt to our surroundings! I have never seen Obama act like anything but a gentleman.
    Heartlight617

Answer by Heartlight617 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Many people feel this way because he is like a changling. Black when with blacks and white when with whites.
    Anonymous

• I can develop a southern accent after about an hour or two of talking with my family members from Alabama...but I'm from Boston (no accent though).
    Anonymous

• I think the people that make remarks like those mentioned are just racist haters.
    Anonymous

• Obama is himself around everyone. Maybe he just seems to favor one race over the other because he takes on the characteristics and conversation of those around him. It's like in high school. When I would be with my jock friends we discussed sports and training then people thought I was a jock. When I was with my music friends we discussed competitions and rhythms then people thought I was a band geek. "Faking it" isn't going to get you accepted by someone that doesn't want to accept you in the first place.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• This is stupid. Obama has been the same every time I see him. And if he does act white or black so what. Way to many people have to much time on their hands to even notice shit like this.
    Get a life or perhaps a damn job.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think foremost Obama is a Politician. A Chicago Politican at that. I take that for what it is worth. No matter his heritage, background, color, etc...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• "Black when with blacks and white when with whites." Huh? I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. Are you working from stereotypes? I suppose because he attended Harvard, he was acting white? Great.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• MrsTGray, I hope that wasn't directed at me b/c I personally don't believe that you can "act white" or "act black" and if you read my entire post you would see that I believe that one can only be the man or the woman that he/she truly is. What I want to know is how the people who do see the supposed "difference" in his actions come to the conclusion that he is portraying one race or another?

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I never have heard much about his white side.
    evelyngayle

Answer by evelyngayle at 9:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009