Greys Anatomy and Jewdism

Im watching Grey Anatomy and theirs a patient who is Jewish and they need to put a pig valve in her heart and Im wondering what do the Jews have against pigs? I know there not kosher any body know?

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Jewish rules are that you can't eat an animal that doesn't both chew the cud and have a cloven hoof. They also can't eat seafood and they have to eat meat and dairy products separately, (no cheesburger, etc) These dietary laws are in the old testament, and for Christians they were abolished when Jesus died for their sins. Since Jews don't call Jesus the messiah, they still have those laws.
    Anonymous

• has to do with the cloven hooves.
    Anonymous

• it has something to do w/not eating the meat of an animal with a cloven hoof.Like the cloven hoof of the devil,a pigs foot looks similar.
    Anonymous

• I also believe that it has to do with a pigs anatomy. When stood on their hind legs all their body parts are in the same location as a humans. At least I was told this by a Jewish man my DH works with.
    Anonymous

• They dont eat prok or have anything to do with the pig, because if I remember correctly, they believe that the devil was cast on the pig or something along those lines...But I dont know why if its to save a life you cant use it etc...
    Anonymous

• I really didn't know that was the reason... I knew they didn't eat pork.. a lot of people use to ask me if I was Jewish because I don't eat pig either... my problem was that I went to a pig roast when I was 5ish.. and yeah my mom said don't go into the tent, you know I had to lol, and I seen them cutting up the pig, that was it for me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Anon at 10:30pm covered it nicely. As a side note, the prohibition is only against eating non-kosher foods. Using a valve from a pig wouldn't break any rules of keeping kosher.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• They don't eat pork because it was commanded in the torah. Just like in the bible(but people disregard because of paul or peter saying it was ok to eat. Muslims dont eat pork either. However if muslims need it for survival they are to eat only what they need to survive. (meaning if they were facing famine and the only thing to eat was pork they can have a little to keep themselves from dying of hunger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• just so you all know, those rules about pig, seperataion of dairy and meat, eating all kosher foods are practiced mainly by orthodox followers, there is also reform (who may follow those rules) and modern that i think only follow the pig stuff. i have to say that pigs are the filthiest animals alive and it is smart not to eat them (but bacon is good!)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I believe it's because the pig is considered dirty. If you keep watching I think they explain it in that episode.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2009