hey my 3 month old son wont sleep through the night

But he has just had surgery done is there anything that i can do to help him sleep i have already tried the johnson stuff that is supposed to help babies sleep and it doesnt any suggestions or should i wait it out for a little longer

devlynsmommy08

Asked by devlynsmommy08 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's very normal for a 3 month old to NOT sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• My son is five months old and doesn't sleep through the night yet. At this age if your son is still waking up it is because he has needs that should be tended to (diapers and feedings). He won't sleep through the night until it's right for him. Hang in there, I know it's tiring.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• 4 kids later and I still haven't had one sleep routinely through the night at 3 months. I had one do it at 5 months. the other three were 15 months, 11 months and 28 months.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Establish a routine. Its all about knowing whats coming next. Give him a bath, bottle, read a book, rock him for a bit, lay him down when he is sleepy but away, give binky (if applicable), turn out the lights (they aren't necessary and can be distracting for newborns), exit quietly, and speak softly. Since he has had surgery recently, try giving tylenol before bed to ease aches and pains. If you try this routine for 3 days, it should work. When you go in to his room in the middle of the night, dont get him out of the crib, give binky and soothe while he is in his crib. This lets him know its night time, and getting up isnt an option. If you have to get him out (to change diaper or feed him), dont leave his room, and try to keep it dim. Good luck! Babys thrive when they know whats coming next :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son is 14 months old and he dosent sleep through the night. However, at that age I started giving him cereal close to bedtime to help him sleep better and it worked like a charm. Most pediatricians nowadays dont recommend rice cereal till 6 months old, but I did what I thought was best for my son AND me.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• At three months, I wouldn't expect it even without the surgery...and even WITH a routine! "Sleeps like a baby" is a huge LIE.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• a night's sleep for a baby is 5 hours so if he's sleeping for a stretch that long, that's quite an accomplishment.
    at that age they still need to eat through the night.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• There is no way a 3 month old will sleep though the night unless he was doing so before the surgery. My almost 5 mth old still gets up once and is eating baby food now. All babies are different.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009