• In the Spotlight:

My son's father gave him beer!

My son is 22 months old, and his father who had him overnight informed me when he dropped him off that he let him taste his beer! I WAS FURIOUS! He said it was no big deal and it was "a life lesson" and "it was only a sip" he wanted our son to "know the difference between juice and beer". He also said the he is his father and he can make decisoions about him without my consent. ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME? What kind of father does that? He said I was over reacting when I got so mad about it! Was I over reacting? What would you have done/do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You WERE over reacting. A sip of beer? a SIP? A sip will not do ANYTHING to him.
    Anonymous

• Do I think it's a good practice? NO. Do guys do it all the time..yep. He gave him a sip. He didn't fill his sippy cup up. I would let it go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Honestly i think a lot of men do this for some crazy reason. I don't believe you should let your kid sip on anything other then the Norm. I don't think your over reacting. I would be pissed too but i would state to the father that i don't agree and if he does it again I'd find another way of dealing with it and he won't like it. Stand up for your kid no one else is going too.
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 9:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'd be furious too mama....FURIOUS! What might he let him try next...no 22 month old little baby needs to know the taste of beer...I'm with you...I'd be soooo pissed and probably wouldn't even let him go over there for a while...
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 9:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• hahaha...why do people think this is normal for men to do this...I guess I just don't know any who have or have admitted, I think its a little bit crazy to think "hey lets let my little son try some beer".....I see it as totally immature....if a teenager did it, yeah I'd be mad but its more understandable, a grown man should know better!
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 9:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If visitation is court ordered/approved you CANNOT just decide to not let him go unless you want to be subject to violation of a court order.
    Anonymous

• It's not a big deal. He was bound to try it eventually, as a toddler. While my DH only jokes about letting her have a sip she has taken a sip of my wine accidentally.

When I was 9 months old I had my first sip of beer. I crawled across the table to my grandfathers beer stein and stuck my hand in and sucked it dry lol. My family is german and it wasn't a big deal at all. It's not like a drank a beer.

Talk to him, explain how you feel, but you can't keep your son from him and proving it to the courts would be damn near impossible. Also, he can make decision without your consent, about some things, but instead of getting pissed of and snapping at him try and TALK to him about your parenting difference, etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• hey im a new mom...i didn't think about court stuff and all that....lol ive never been in a situation like that
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 9:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• OP: My biggest problem here is he KNEW how I felt about it. He knows how I feel about him even drinking when he has our son. (He doesn't know when to stop drinking, thus the reason we aren't together anymore) There has been more than one occasion when I have gone to pick my son up and he has had his buddies over and they are shit face drunk. How is that okay? What if something happened to my son? What if he needed to be driven to the hospital? Dad would be too drunk to take him. What if something happened in the middle of the night and dad was passed out drunk? There is a stipulation for the visitation and it is that he is NOT to be drinking. So, why would he be drinking in the first place, let alone giving my son a sip. I have been through hell with that man and his drinking, and I will be damned if he will think it is okay to give my son beer.
    Anonymous

• It's not ok. Can you take pictures or document him being shitty drunk to the courts? If he is breaking the rules of visitation then go back to court.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009