How do I get her to stop wetting her bed???

My 4 year old started wetting her bed a couple of months ago. I had left it alone, because I figured that she will eventually stop doing it, but she hasn't. Now I'm beginning to get frustrated and I don't know how to handle it. Some times I wonder if I should put her back on training pants. What should I do???

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 12:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would first take her to the doc and make sure that everything is okay on that end.

Alot of kids can revert to wetting the bed when they are under stress. Take a few days out and enjoy life with her. Try to imagine how the things going on in your life may be affecting her and see if any of those stess factors can be removed.

Try to open up lines of communication. Set aside a time every night to discuss the days goings on. You may be suprised at how much they pick up on.

In the mean time I would maybe try some good nights or something to keep from ruining the matress, and avoid daily laundering of the sheets.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Since this is new, has something happened? Sudden bedwetting can be a sign of stress in a young child's life. Sometime during the day, ask your daughter if something she didn't like has happened to her. She may also be scared to go to the bathroom in the night.

Since she is 4 years old, let her help decide what to do at night. Does she want to wear a pull up at night so the sheets don't get wet? Would she rather have a plastic sheet? Would a potty chair in her own room help so she doesn't have to go down the hall in the night? Would her very own flashlight help? If she's part of the solution, it will help.

If she opts for the plastic sheet, double layer her bed so you can quickly strip off the top wet layer and have a fresh set with next to no work. Also, lay out clean PJs when she gets in to bed so she can quickly change while you remove the wet sheets.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• When I was in nursing school we were taught that one big sign of abuse, be it sexual, verbal, or physical, is bed wetting. Please dont freak, that does not mean that is what it has to bed. Just be prepared if the doctor ask's you. Taker her to the doctor to make sure everything with her kidneys and bladder are working ok, and resort back to potty training times, no drinks an hour before bed and make sure to potty before bed. This might help until you can figure out what the problem is. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• No drinks after 7:00p.m. and if this dont work take it up a knotch till 6 than 5 and take her to the restroom before she lays down. I guarntee there will not be any wetness in the night.
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Let me tell you from experience, this can be normal. Our dd is now 6 and still wets the bed if we don't take her. She started around 4 also. She had been trained fully for about 6-9 months then just started bedwetting. We went through all the emotions - frustration, anger, exhaustion, etc We tried all the suggestions - no drinks after 7, waking her to pee, etc none of it worked, she still peed. We've discovered there could be several posibilities for this. 1) it's hereditary - her daddy also use to wet the bed til he was about 7 I think (he denies it lol) 2)she's a VERY VERY VERY deep sleeper, so she just doesn't feel that urge in her sleep 3)her bladder has not grown with the rest of her body, she just simply cannot physically hold it that long. Once we learned all this we didn't get upset with her as much. It's still frustrating but it is getting better.

pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• We did ask our Ped who said they would not do testing until they were 6-7 yrs old b/c kids tend to go through sleep pattern changes from 5-7 yrs old and their body grows and they start to outgrow the bedwetting. With our dd it's constant, every night. So I stay up and take her at 10 and 12. She's usually good until 7-8am. We have noticed a big change the last few weeks actually so it is giving us hope. We do still do the no drinks after supper. It does help but it's not a guarentee for every child, esp one like ours. There are alarms you can buy also, but I would talk to her ped first.
    pwfaith