For Homeschooling Mom's

To all those mom's who homeschool or are planning on homeschool, what age did you or do you plan to start?

My oldest (he just turned 6) started homeschooling in September but prior to that he was in daycare/preschools.

I am starting to casually (at his pace) homeschool my almost three year old. He hasn't been to daycare since he was a baby.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 10:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 2 and I think this summer (she will be turning 3) we will really get into it. We've chosen a Waldorf education for her, and while we live this way on a daily basis, I think it will only benefit her to start incorporating a more formal homeschooled curriculum into her life....even if it will be arts, crafts, playing outside, singing, dancing and just being a kid!

I love reading about more mothers who are making the leap to homeschool their children. I think in many cases that can be such a great gift to give a child.

I'll be looking back to this to see what other momma's say.

:)
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 10:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My kids start out with computer learning games at about age 3-4. Then we add workbooks at about 5-6.

No "textbooks" 'til about 2nd grade.

My oldest is 10 & doing 5th grade work. My middle boys are 5 & 6 are doing a mixture of PreK-1st grade work (since they're about a year apart in age, I figured it would be easier to teach them together). And then there's my daughter --- she's almost 2. Her job, at this point, appears to be bossing her brothers around. If she got graded on that, she'd be in the gifted class! LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• That's basically what we are doing with my two. Noah thinks he is just playing games at this point which is fine. We have been using hooked on phonics kits with Bryce. He loves them.

LOL The only girl...she's smart to take charge.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My oldest started in 5th grade. My next oldest did K at home, went to 1st grade, and was home until he graduated. My youngest was home until one semester of 8th grade, then home until he graduated. I have responded to such questions if there is way you can or want to read anything else I wrote:-) They are now 24, 21, 19.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i started loosely basing play on preschool lessons when my daugther turned 2.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My kids have been self-led learners since they were born.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• it starts they day they're born.
    they are always learning, and you're always teaching: the names of animals, colors, shapes, cause and effect, etc.
    when my son was about three he'd learned most of his phonics from Leapfrog's fridge magnets, and I got a little box set of easy readers that each focused on a short vowel sound, such as "the cat sat on the mat" and we started on sounding out simple c-v-c words. from that point I don't remember much teaching regarding reading, other than "i-g-h-t" says "ite", he just GOT it and was reading fluently within a matter of months.
    cont.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• CONT.
    he did do various websites like starfall to develop his reading. there are some really great, free online resources for HS. I have a list in my secular homeschooling group, if you'd like to join and check it out PM me.

around the same time I got some sets from Costco with math manipulatives: cubes that click together for spacial thinking, a toy clock with the five minute increments on it, various shapes and colors of beads to string to make patterns, foam shapes, etc.. We would "play" with those, or sort the beads, or do other activities which taught pre-math skills: sorting, estimation, comparison, etc.

He's five now, and doing second grade math and grammar, and reads at probably a sixth grade level or so.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2009