Does tummy time for a 3 month old work?

I have a question...just how important is tummy time? My baby is 3 months old and my doctor recommended that I place him on his tummy for a few times a day...10 mins each time. She says that it builds the muscles in his neck and shoulders....I wonder if this is true. I do place my son on his tummy twice a day. This is my 1st baby. He is such a joy and he can hold his head when he is on his tummy and when I hold him. He usually cries when I place him on his tummy too. I don't think it's hurting him and I didn't think lying on your stomach should hurt. I'm new to this....and I'm just blabering!!!

mekamommy

Asked by mekamommy at 10:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy time is very important, IMO.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Here's an idea, if you aren't already doing it...do tummy time with him. Get down to his level and lie on your tummy and play.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i have one of those tummy boppy things my daughter loves it. except if she too full lol then the cries. Shes 7 weeks and holds her head up for the most part sometimes it gets away from her. Does he eat right before you put him down?
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 10:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son is 6 1/2 weeks old, and I try to do tummy time at least once a day right now. I have heard that it is very important. He too isnt very fond of it, but if I lay down and talk to him or place a stuffed animal that plays music he'll be entertained for a little while until he become frustrated.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My daughter wasn't all that keen on tummy time the first month or so...but let me tell you, I can't get her off her stomach now. I'll lay her down to change her diaper and she will roll over. She even tries to go to sleep like that LOL. It is good, and it will build the neck muscles better. I have also discovered that she is developing faster than my son did (not so much tummy time for him) She is only 7mths old and she is almost crawling. i hope this helps

Sarah_ponder

Answer by Sarah_ponder at 2:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• To answer your question, Letlovegrow, no I don't feed him before I put him on his tummy. That probably would make him cry, huh?
    mekamommy

Answer by mekamommy at 1:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009