Is there anyone else out there who can't stand to be touched?

I dislike being touched; always have. Over the years, this disorder has gotten worse instead of better. Being touched brings me actual physical discomfort as well as mental discomfort. No one seems to understand how I feel and I don't know anyone else who feels like me. Anyone else?

IrishDruidMama

Asked by IrishDruidMama at 10:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Health

• Yes.

I do really know how you feel. It depends on who it is touching me, and why. Sometimes it downright HURTS to have someone touch me, other times it just makes me uncomfortable.

There is no rhyme or reason for this...but I know what you're going through.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 10:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I used to have this problem after being molested as a child and then my virgintity tooken as an adult after becoming to drunk to know what I was doing.
    I learned to handle it much better since being with my Hubby so long. I had to learn he's not going to hurt me and he's not them.
    If a stranger touches me I get this bad discomfort so your not alone.
    I guess it depends on the person and where they are touching.
    Anonymous

• I am not what I call a" huggy kissy" type of person. I can't say I would be like you described. My DH can tell you I don't like holding hand or cuddling.

Answer by louise2 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I too was molested as a child and raped several times as a teen and as an adult. I think that this has a lot to do with the way that I feel. I have physical pain, but more often I am uncomfortable and downright fearful of touch. I am extremely bothered by touch on my feet legs and my back. Unfortunately, I have kicked my kids (UNINTENTIONALLY of course!) when they have touched my feet and my poor SO has gotten a black eye more than once! I have a reflex that is automatic....I cannot control it. I feel for you but I can identify with you!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am a massage therapist and occastionally talk to people with this concern. If it's something you wish to change I would seek the care of a NLP practitioner. Some people have a control issue with touch, others it's a developed tick over time, some it's a conscious or unconscious abuse residual. See if this helps: http://www.nlp-practitioners.com/

Anonymous