Whats the best way to brush a toddlers teeth?

My son usually refuses to open his mouth for the toothbrush...if he does let it in his mouth its only for a few seconds...I don't want to force it upon him...what should I do? and is it okay to put a very very small amount of toothpaste on the brush (Im talking like size of a bacon bit or something....very very very small)

AustinR3MySon

Asked by AustinR3MySon at 10:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put just a smitch on it and then hand it to him. Noah use to love to chew on tooth brushes. It isn't the ideal brushing method but so far no cavities. Plus it removed the stress in regards to brushing his teeth. Now he will stand there and let me brush his teeth...of course probably helps that I makes silly noises while I do it.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• They have training toothpaste that's ok for toddlers to swallow. I'd try that. My son also loves to chew on toothbrushes so I've never ran into that problem. But I know he likes to do it himself. When I try to help him he just gets mad and says "I DO IT!" while pulling away from me. Maybe letting him take control and do it himself will help too. Good luck :)
    QuintinsMom217

Answer by QuintinsMom217 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Maybe a smitch of training toothpaste, it's flouride free!! You may also want to try a finger toothbrush. Most days it's a fight with my son but I let him pick out his toothbrush and he got a SpinBrush for his birthday that he loves. It's a firetruck and it lights up!!
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 10:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When we first started out, we would give him his own toothbrush while we were brushing our teeth, and then once he got it in his mouth we would brush his while letting him "brush" ours. It gave him that sense of independence.

We haven't started using toothpaste yet, but I was wondering about the "training" toothpastes.
    kazuko19

Answer by kazuko19 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We sing a song about brushing the teeth that makes her giggle and after we are done, she gets to brush her own. That way we both win.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• cartoons abouut teeth brushing :) My daughter loves to do what we do.. She will scream BRUSH when we go in tha bathroom..And say cheese for you to brush her front teeth..It started out as a toy toothbrush also..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes you can get special toothpaste. What I did was made sure he came to the wash room when i wash and do teeth. Id do a little dance make as uch foam as i could lol an dtry make it look fun. After a while he wanted to copy me. He is 22 months and will now tell me he has to do his "teeth" or wants to "wash" his face.
    LeelansMom

Answer by LeelansMom at 7:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I let my daughter "brush"/"play" with it while she's in the bath. I brush my teeth at the same time and she tries to do what I do....then when I'm done I give her teeth (the 2 she has lol) a quick brush just to make sure it's done properly. I also tell her she's doing a good job, even when she's brushing her lip or chewing on the brush, that way she knows what she's trying to do is positive.
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh and the toothpaste....use one that is flouride free...that way if he swallows it, it's not a big deal! The taste of the toothpaste might actually make him want to brush!
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I bought that orajel toothpaste that it was okay to swallow. I had to make my daughter for a little while and it wasn't fun. Then, i bought her a musical veggie tales toothbrush and she would let me. I taught her to show mommy her teeth. I also brushed my teeth so she could see me doing it. They love copying things. Then when i was done brushing her teeth i'd let her brush for a little bit but it wasn't fun getting it back. I'd have to distract her with a toy.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2009