Whats the best way to get a baby off the bottle?

Just want some opinions...my son is 14 months and I've been trying to take it away more but the more I do it seems the more attached he becomes!

AustinR3MySon

Asked by AustinR3MySon at 10:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got a sippy cup for my kids. They were both 9 months old. I had to listen to some tears mostly at night but once they got the hint I don't mind the crying they actually went to sleep. I learned to put them to bed early so this way they have their time to cry and will be sleep right at their normaly bed time.

This worked and after 2-3 weeks they weren't even thinking about the bottle.
    Anonymous

• My son does alternate between sippies and bottles...he just mainly wants the bottle at night : / He flips without it!!! I hate to hear him cry, I think thats part of my problem.
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 10:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We started switching out the sippy cup for snack time. Then for lunch. Then for breakfast, and we saved dinner for last. By the time we got to that point, he had pretty much given in. :)

The whole transition took us about a week, but I think that each child will go on their own schedule.
    kazuko19

Answer by kazuko19 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• He's taking a sippy, so just get rid of the bottle. He doesn't need it.

He can still have his milk at night (habit, not necessity) but give it to him in a sippy cup not a bottle (habit,not necessity)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I took the bottle away on both my 2 kids 1st b-day and gave them a sippy cup and they did ok on it. now my 13month old I tryed and she take the sippy sometimes but wants her baba(bottle) and its hard because we live with grandparents and parent and they give her a bottle. ugh....
    kaymak27

Answer by kaymak27 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2009