No Bashing please. just Simple opinions.

Do you think it's inhumane to use a shock collar for training purposes? if so, do you think using a vibration collar is inhumane?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 10:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I think that it works and is effective, but please! Make sure that you use the appropriate collar for your sized dog. This is so important because you can seriously injure your pet if you don't.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I just saw on It's me or the dog that a shock collar is really nasty to use on dogs. Personally though, I have been SO tempted! My dog is driving me nuts! I have tried all these different "positive" training methods and nothing has worked! It takes all my strength to try and get her calmed down enough to even try training. Even then, I only get about a minute out of her. I am so tired of being pulled down, knocked over and sat on by my 13 pound beast. So, I don't know what else to try... but I have given the shock collar some serious thought lately (I have a 3 year old too).

What is a vibrating collar? I've never heard of that.
    Anonymous

• I tried the shock collar on my dog once. I then took it off and threw it away. My dog acted like it killed him when he barked. I have never heard of a vibrating collar before though

Answer by louise2 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have three dogs. I have never used a shock or vibrating collar (although I was tempted). I have had dogs all my life and I learned that your energy is really important in how you handle dogs. IfI am upset, and yell... they cower but they don't learn anything. The best time for me to teach one of my dogs something is when I am relaxed and they are looking for attention. That's when they are most eager to please. So far it's working...
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No way, put one on your neck & try it out, you'll see why I say no way.
    Macysheryl

Answer by Macysheryl at 10:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• as a former trainer it is harmful to the dog and may cause temperment changes if you have to use a collar to train use the centranilla spray but prefer to recommend try training classes at petsmart.
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• well, i have a pit/american bull dog 5 month old female..she's already 60lbs..training was going really good for a few months, but as i get farther along in my pregnancy and as she gets more stubborn and going backwards on the training we've already accomplished, i was thinking of using one. she gets these streaks where she runs crazy through out the house and not listen to me when i tell her to sit and stay. trust me, i try. she's already knocked over my 2 and 3 yr old and if she does that and lands on my new born, she could kill the baby..and thats what im worried about the most. i understand she's just a puppy, but i Really need to get that under control.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• and to mommy2be..i currently cannot afford training classes or we would already be there and i would not be considering this collar. ive heard of vibrating ones, but i dont remember where..atleast it will just be a vibration than a shock.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• before using any type of collar if you have small kids at home DEFINITELY steer away from the shock collars like i said may cause temperament changes i have seen it change a sweet dogs temperament to a dog that had to be put down because it bit someone

when its barking at another dog or human it gets shocked so it assumes that human or dog caused them pain so that is their enemy now you don't want that because it can comprehend your kids or u as threats.
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• she's just getting so big sooo fast and im 6 1/2 months preggo now and i can control her when no people are around, but as soon as she sees a person, its soo hard for me to simply get her to sit and stay. she's not around any people besides my family and a friend, so she goes nuts like its another animal..she's never bit anyone before and i have to introduce her to peopl elike i do other dogs.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009