Why did you choose homeschooling? Share your story!

I was first home schooled in high school. After over 10 years of continuous prednisone therapy for my asthma I was immunocompromised and my skin integrity was non existent. My high school was diagnosed with sick building syndrome. I could spend no more then 2-3 wks in school without getting ill and ending up back in the hospital so my parents met with the school and I was home schooled through them.

My teacher was fabulous and I still have great admiration for her today. I went from being a C's to A's. I loved every minute of it.

I still live in the area I grew up in. The schools (while there are several new ones) are worse as far as actual teaching goes. Bryce has a serious love for learning and I wanted something that would nurture that rather than destroy it which is why we chose home schooling and it has not disappointed us.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 10:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a home school graduate, I never attended a public Sshool. I LOVED being home schooled! My husband is also a home school graduate, although he did attend public school through 6th grade. Our first son is only 11 months old right now, but there is no question in our minds that we will most certainly home school!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My husband was never home schooled but knew that I was and had another friend who had been. He was able to see the benefits we reaped of it and I was glad because he was very open to the idea which made things very easy.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My sons school was horrible when he was diagnosed with diabetes. we tried reg school but they would not cooperate and when he came home crying saying he though he would die at school I decided to homeschool and that was 5 years ago he has learned more at home. now that my daughter has a brain injury we may homeschool her also. I think I can meet her new needs at home better than the school
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Short answer: I don't like the school district I live in. That was my reason in the beginning. Now, after having done it for a few years, I see the benefits of being free to choose what, how, & when to learn.

I want my kids to learn how to learn, not utilize their short-term memories to pass a test & then forget it all. I want my kids to be able to persue their interests and learn at their own pace (be it faster or slower than their peers) I want my kids to take advantage of every moment they can in childhood to just BE a kid (if the weather forecast is beautiful Wed-Fri, and rain on the weekend --- we take our days off during the week). I want my kids to be who they want to be -- w/o the pressure to be/do "what's cool". I want my kids to socialize with EVERYONE, not just their specific 'clique' of kids their own age.

The list goes on & on... but there's a start...
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Laura that is how I feel...
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I was home-schooled when i was in the 7th-12th grade because the kids at my school use to tease me a lot and i use to get beat up finally after a couple of months my parents could not take it anymore and decided to home school me. i loved home-schooling and i also went to nyu collgae.
    Anonymous

• The district we lived in at that time was horrible and dangerous. My daughter was in school for half her Kind year and didn't know ANYTHING. SHe has ADHD and all they did was complain but never tried to help her/ I pulled her first. My son has severe allergies and if he'd cough at school I'd get a nasty call about why I sent him. If I kept him home, I'd get a nasty call about how he'd fail. I pulled him next. My youngest has speech issues and I had to fight for MONTHS just to get her looked at and due to that the school had problems with me. They started hitting my preschooler because she wouldn't nap fast enough. I was done.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Holy cow Pauline....My parent's had nothing but continuous issues with the school systems and us when we were kids. Seemed like mom was there fighting for us daily.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 12:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There were many reasons. My oldest child is an atypical learner. He would never have fit a traditional school mold. I also have issues with public schools in general, thanks to my student teaching years. By the time my second child came along, we were so happy with our homeschooling (unschooling) lifestyle that I wouldn't consider doing anything else.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2009