Is it ok?

My daughter is less then a wk old and eats every 4 hours I have tried to feed her every 2 like they told me to but she just wont stay awake. I am breastfeeding. I even tried to give her formula in-between because I was worried she wasnt getting enough. Is it ok for her to only eat every 4 hours because now I am afraid that I am not going to make enough milk to feed her. And I dont have a pump yet. I am getting one next week.

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's ok,if she was hungry she would wake up and demand some milk. :o) good luck w/your new lil one.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No she hasnt that is the thing she doesnt eat. I tried to give her the formula but she wont take it.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If she is not hungry, she won't eat. I am so not trying to bash, but in the first 6 weeks of breast feeding you should not give baby a bottle because it could cause problems with her latch. Instead try every 3 hours. If she is not getting enough to eat, she'll tell you in her own way. Don't worry about it. My son was exactly the same way.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had to strip my daughter naked to breastfeed in the first few weeks. It was the only way to keep her awake long enough to feed.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• She latches just fine I try every 2 hours but she wont she just falls asleep. She will wake up every 4 and eat. And then I am still not sure she is getting enough. She falls asleep and seems like she is full she stays asleep but I still worry I never BF before my other 2 were bottle fed
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• the doctors told me to feed every 3 or 4 hours, so shes fine
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I really really am not trying to be horrible,or start a fight but just because her latch is fine now, doesn't mean it can't change. Using a bottle this early can cause nipple confusion and she could have problems later.

I understand that you are worried. I was the same way. My baby had the same exact eating habits that yours does. I switched to trying every three hours and it worked. Every two hours is a guideline. Every baby is different. If she falls asleep and stays asleep, she is probably doing okay. How many wet diapers does she have in a day? Is it around what your doctor says it should be? It seems like you are doing a fine job. If you are worried about keeping milk supply up, maybe you could rent a pump from the hospital until you get one of your own.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Will my milk supply become more as she needs more? Or when she demands more will I not have enough I am just worried that she wont get enough now or later.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• And yes, your milk supply will adjust itself to your baby's needs. Your body knows what to do. Have you joined any of the breast feeding groups here? They are great!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No I have not.

So I should try to feed her every 3 hours? Do you think it will help? But if she stays at the 4 then she will be ok?
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009