What kind of benedryl or sudafed or whatever is ok to take when your pregnant?

BabyGsMaMa13

Asked by BabyGsMaMa13 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • benedryl is OK
    sudafed is a no-no.

as to what kind of benedryl... as far as I know there's only one kind unless you mean store brand versus name brand, and either of those is OK
    Anonymous

• i used childrens benedryl, i needed it to sleep
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• sudafed is fine...just get regular sudafed. not the PE. Get the one you have to show your ID for. Talk to your pharmacist and he/she can tell you what you need.
    Anonymous

• 24 years ago( thats the last time I was pregnant) the doctor told me do not take anything unless prescribed by him. Has that changed scense then?

Answer by louise2 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i take benedryl pills but was told sudafed was not a good idea. it depends on what your doctor says.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Benadryl or the store brand is fine to take, as well as unisom, tylenol, and gas medicine. Sudafed is not a good idea, according to my doctor and several websites I've looked at. It'll probably make your nose more likely to bleed, as well.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-take-cold-medications-during-pregnancy_2299.bc
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have taken childrens benedryl twice and baby is doing very healthy. DR. told me to take only like 2tsp, maybe three. Mine was for allergic reaction though, not sleep.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My doctor allows Sudafed -- BUT you should always check with your doctor. Sudafed is not allowed on Moms with high blood pressure. Call your OB tomorrow morning and ask the nurse what you can take if you have a cold or allergies. Usually they know what over the counter medicines are okay.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• thanks everyone i wasn't too sure about the sudafed or the benadryl but this is my second time sick during this pregnancey and i can't breath through my nose at all when i try to sleep.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2009