I'm having problems getting breast milk using the electric pump, can you suggest methods in getting the milk out?

malachai

Asked by malachai at 10:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried using a baby? I'm just kidding. I've heard that manual pumps work better. It takes twice as long though. I haven't used one, but maybe it works.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Manual pumps always worked better for me.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• What pump? When are you using it? Those things can make a HUGE difference.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for some help!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• manual pumps did work better than electric for me, but what worked even better was actually manually expressing the milk with my hand. you may feel like you're milking a cow but it'll get more out because it more closely mimics an actual baby. http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/pregnancy/welcoming-baby/breast-feeding/pumping-breast-milk

just a warning for any sensitive women - that link does show illustrations of how to do so yes, it has bare breasts

Anonymous

• I tried that....I was so engorged it hurt like _________________ (fill in with several colorful words). LOL
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I used to pump at work and had a hard time at first, but what helped me was to bring something to work with me that smelled like my baby. A blanket or a t-shirt. My baby's scent would get the milk flowing. Also, just relax and think only about your baby or look at her/his picture.
    MrsCEllis

Answer by MrsCEllis at 11:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• oh anetrnlov :) everything hurts like ______ when you're engorged LOL. Heck I went for 2 days with no shirt or bra on because it hurt so bad! :) oh the joys of motherhood ;o)
    Anonymous

• MrsCEllis :) you made me laugh remembering my experience with pumping at work... OK so I would take the photo album with me to pump... well one day, someone was looking through it at my desk and was like "something got spilled on it" and licked their finger and wiped it off, licking their finger again and again until it came clean (This was a guy BTW) I was mortified! how do you tell a guy he just cleaned up breast milk and licked his finger while doing so? :) OK that was OT but had to share :)
    Anonymous

• Sometimes a picture of the baby will help.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• This is was worked for me, and I'm not saying it's perfect...but well....what I did was put a warm compress around my breasts before I started pumping. If that still didn't help, I would try and prop the pump up on it's own and massage my breasts as it was pumping. It seemed to work every time with me. Also, if you record your baby crying ( i know it sounds bad) but the sound of YOUR baby crying will help with the let down. I hope this helps. Good luck
    Sarah_ponder

Answer by Sarah_ponder at 2:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2009