is a puppy safe for a 3 month old baby

is it safe to get a puppy if you have a 3 month old baby and what kind is the safest with babies

devlynsmommy08

Asked by devlynsmommy08 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I really wouldn't get a puppy while your baby is so young...puppies take as much work as infants and you'll make yourself crazy.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I personally would not get a puppy when the baby is this young. Puppies and babies both need a lot of attention, and it would be hard to care for both of them properly. Also, you can never really be sure about a dog's temperament, so I would wait until the baby is older, and can get away from the puppy on its own.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Believe me.. you DON'T want a new puppy right now.... and this is coming from a HUGE animal person. It's just too much work --- house training, chewing on everything, barking during naptime, the whining at night if you crate/lock the puppy up in a bathroom or whereever (and you'll have to do that or your 3 month old is going to be scooting through puppy puddles all over the house). Puppies have no training yet... they don't know the house rules.... and they have VERY sharp baby teeth.

If this were a question of introducing a new infant to the established housepet... would be a TOTALLY different answer (I brought my NBs in the house and laid them on the floor for the dogs to investigate). But a new puppy with an infant? Just too much.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• no puppy is safe around a baby that young... puppies don't know that the baby is helpless-they just want to play.Plus as the others said,wait because at least a baby you can get on a shcedual, puppies are a wild card and you will go nuts. wait until your child is older, maybe 2.and even then, never ever leave them alone together.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ok,i can see both sides of this. i had twins and when they were a few months old we got a new puppy, great dane i might add and we had no trouble that i can remember. never never put the baby on the floor with it though, i'm sure you new that already. it all depends on how much time you can put into spening with the puppy and with the baby. i don't think it matters what type of dog you get when their pups, they pretty much act the same way. but golden retrievers are excellent with kids and i believe basset hounds are good too maybe a beagle. good luck!
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If you want a puppy get a puppy. Just try to watch them closely when near eachother because puppies like to play ruff and chew.
    JulieN17

Answer by JulieN17 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son was 2-3 months old when we got our Pit Bull puppy. It worked out great actually! She loved him and protected him before anything else. That was her little boy :)

And the dog didn't eat him after all!!! LOL!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I admire your energy with a 2-3 month old and a puppy. I hope you are young, cause your gonna be really busy. Puppies are like children, they need to be trained, house broke and cared for. Your the care giver for them both, so monitor always, when your together and start teaching your pup that the baby is the pack leader and needs to be respected. No matter what age your child is, your puppy needs to be taught how to act around family members. It can be done. So good luck with your babies and I hope it all works out for you and yours.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i dont think it matters what breed you get....as long as the puppies are trainedproperly, you wont have any problems..just know that it is alot of work!! and make sure you get a puppy thats gonna fit into your lifestyle..if ya get a dog that needs to run, make sure ya have a big yard..if ya live in an apartment, get a small lil yappy dog..lol..i have a golden retriever, and he's great with kids..golden labs are great as well..as are german sheppards..but do your research..theres lil quizzes you can find online somewhere that find out which dog would suit your family best..maybe look into that
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We did a lot of research before we bought our Golden Retriever and found that they are reputed to be the best with children. However, that said: I would NOT have gotten the puppy if I was already sleep-deprived and hormonally crazy from dealing with a baby.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009