My 5 year old daughter seems to be regressing. PLEASE HELP!!!

My 5 year old daughter seems to be regressing. There has been no big changes in her life lately, she hasnt started school yet or anything NEW. She is crying about everything, stopped sleeping through the night, whines none stop, acts out in public, pays no attention to anything i tell her and trys to make me feel bad about almost everything. Shes always been pretty well behaved but all the sudden i dont know what happened. Me and her father seperated 3 years ago and we have been living with my boyfriend now for over a year. i wonder if MAYBE just now she's having a problem with this, or if maybe i moved to fast with my boyfriend. Im at a loss of what to do i've tried everything. I dont know if i should disaplen her for the way she's acting or maybe she's trying to tell me something the best way she knows how. Please can someone help me?

Brandy8308

Asked by Brandy8308 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think she might be testing you. She might be trying to get away with things and seeing how far she can push you. I would talk to her about her behavior and see what she says. if she tells you there is nothing wrong then I would set a system up.

If you set up a discipline system then she will understand that you are not going to sit by and let her behavior this way just because.

If you have questions send me a PM and I can give you some ideas.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have a couple of questions about this.
    Is she using the behavior you described to try and get what she wants?
    IF yes, does it work?
    IF no then when is she using this behavior?

Many times if you watch when the behavior is occurring it can give clues as to why.
    Example: My son used to act out after visits with his father...because the father was very inconsistent and that was causing my son distress. When his father stopped having visits then the bad behavior stopped as well.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 1:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have a 5 yr old boy and he is doing the same thing. I thought I was the only one who had a 5 yr old not in school. He regressed to accidents in his pants every time he has to go.. He has an older brother who always says he hates school, they,re mean to him so I think his brother has alot to do with him. It sounds like shes testing you. Paitence, is what I have to tell my self. good luck
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2009