Do parents have an ethical right to choose the religion/faith/sprituality of their child?

Bottome line: If the faith is positive, even if it's not Christian or biblacly based (...or if it is, it doesnt matter) does the parent of the child have an ethical right to choose/bless them in their faith ...OR should this choice be the decision of the child when the child is old enough to make such a choice?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think we should GUIDE with the understanding that, when they get older and are able to make their own choices, if they are no longer "satisfied" in the religion of the parents then they should be allowed to explore on their own.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• when they're younger you raise them to be like you, you want to set good examples. when they get older and develop their own opinions is when its harder :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think until they are old enough to make the decision they are.Like my husband was raised catholic.He is now a christian.It did not hurt my husband to be raised in his mother's faith and when he started to question it,he stepped out of it.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think kids should be educated on all faiths even if a family is lets say catholic.I am methodist and ev en tho my son was raised methodist as well, he will someday maybe choose differently.I think we have an obligation to teach our kids to believe in something bigger than ourselves.Wether it is religion/God/allah...i think a child cannot choose that for his/herself until old enough to make an educated choice.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think parent's should do what they feel is in the best interest of their children.

For us...that is to educate our kids on various beliefs and allow them to choose their own path.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• As a Christian I don't believe I can make that decision for my child but we have had them dedicated which is simply us publicly declaring to our church, making an oath to raise them in a godly way according to God's Word. Whether or not they accept Christ as their savior can only be their decision, we cannot make it for them. PTL 2 of ours already have and we continuously pray for the others to do the same.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• As a parent it's my job to raise my child with what I believe is true. To raise them to respect life, be tolerant of differences, to have self-control and self-respect and to believe in Jesus Christ (among many other things). A person has free will and is going to make decisions for themselves when the grow up - raising my child with my Catholic Christian faith will not change that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I am waiting for my daughter to be old enough before I sit her down and have the talk about religion... I am atheist, and her dad is Christian... I'm going to be very open and understanding in what ever religion she decides to choice if any... I will let her dad teach her what he knows about Christianity, and she is welcome to study other religions as well... I would rather she be open minded and given the chance to choice that oppress how she truly feels inside herself... IMO it makes for a better relationship with your children... The only way I would step in, if the religion was harmful to herself...(and I don't mean biblically, I mean something that could put her in harms way.. like some of those crazy suicide cults) she could be buddist, christian, atheist, agnostic, jewish, JW, pagan,,, whatever as long as it didn't hurt her.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I like this question and I wonder about parents who say."Some people believe this and this and this but it is not true.ONLY this is true"My kids were exposed to everything .Stacey is a die hard Christian.Justin has not decided but he is leaning that way.He HAS told us he does not believe in God but then he takes it back .So I don't know.
    I have taught my kids that there is a little truth in every belief.They have to find something that fits their beliefs rather than finding something and conforming.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 12:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Bible believing Christians have the obligation to train their children to live for God. train in this sense means to give them an appetite. We need to give our children an appetitie to serve God. If they choose to do otherwise when they leave your home, they will be responsible for their choices not us christian parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2009