Female cat scared of other cats?

My female cat is almost 4 years old. I got her when she was 4 weeks old. She has been raised around my other two cats her since then, and has never had any issues. A week ago she started freaking out towards them. They were all just fine, laying around, then all of a sudden she let out this growl that was followed by a scream. She wouldn't go near them for almost 48 hours. I finally gave her 5 mg of Amitryptiline and she was fine the next morning. All was well, then she started doing the same thing again tonight. I gave her 5 mg of Amitryptiline again, and she calmed down. She is fine with us, and my dog, but freaks out with the other cats during these episodes. I cannot find any injuries, and she shows no signs of being in pain. Eat/drinking/eliminating okay. I don't know what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Angel8203

Asked by Angel8203 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Talked to her vet again, who believes it is a behavioral thing. Adivsed to admin, the meds I was already giving for two weeks and then wean her off. Thanks for all of your help.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• why are you giving your cat that medicine? is it prescribed for her? did you talk to her vet? cats just sometimews get territorial,my 2 females do it on and off.as long as no one is drawing blood let them work it out-w/o the drugs.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Your cat may be territorial and the other cats are in her space, or she may not want them near her at all.
    JulieN17

Answer by JulieN17 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I administered the medication on the advise of a Vet. I use to be a Vet Tech before I had my daughter, so I do have an understanding the medication. That is also why I had it on hand to give. As for the territorial thing, that could be it I guess. But she isn't claiming any territory. She screams at them, then takes off to hide. Almost like she is afraid of them, or something. After administering the meds, so calms down and comes out to love on them. She was spayed at 4 mths old, so has never gone through heat. If she wasn't screaming and growling, everytime she saw them I would have no problems letting them work it out. But she screams when ever she sees them, including in the middle of the night, which wakes everyone including my 1 yr old.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My cat does the same thing, but we're positive she got the crap beat out of her by some. She is fine around any size dog. Just not cat.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have 4 cats, and a friend who is a Cat Behaviourist and she said the cat may have a lack of hormone either in her brain or her blood. Also not knowing all the circumstances she said you might want to get her cked out by your  vet, or a cat behaviourist. There are books out there that do provide answers to what our cats are trying to tell us. You may want to ck out the internet for some suggetions. I wish I know a good link to send to you. If I find one I will. Good luck.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Are all your cats altered? Sometimes the scent of the hormones involved when one goes into heat will cause all kinds of strange reactions.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes all of my cats are neutered/spayed, including the barn cat that isn't really mine, just lives on my property. I am a firm believer is neutering/spaying. To many unwanted kittens/puppies to begin with. Why add to it? Afterall, unwanted kittens is how I got her.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009