Have you experienced a midlife crisis and how did you get through it?

I lost my dad this summer and thought I was fine. I am having a rough time coming to terms with my own life. I now know there are things in my life that I wanted to do and will never happen. My kids are going to grow up and be living their own lives some day and leave me in the dust. I am coming to grips with my own mortality. I just want to know if it gets better and can I speed it along?

jusajachaos

Asked by jusajachaos at 12:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Health

• I think coming to grips with our own mortality is just to damn depressing!! We all know that one day we all die, but honestly THE END. Don't think about it anymore and do what I did when I was freakin out about getting older..........LEARN TO POLE DANCE!!! Seriously! start small~ try something you have never ever done..I started with Belly dancing and went from there........Just continue to LIVE~~ NOW!!
    LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 12:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Why won't those things happen? Never say never. I have a cousin approaching 80 who travels most of the time!

Here's how I cope....I make sure to continue learning, every day. I make sure to give of myself to others, every day. I udnerstand that this is NOT all there is.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i had a incredible midlife crisis out of a novel. i was back at college one day the teacher asked us to learn phone search on d computer .type in a person name and a city. love of my life a boyfriend from high school's name popped. called one Saturday night on my cell just say hello, Incredibly his wife was out the weekend and we talked hours! He went bonkers gave me his telephone a@ work his email and p.o. Box, number! went bonkers as well, wrote him we talked reminisced rekindles ab0ut our young love..he had cheated on his wife before and would not allow now he knew with me his marriage would emd. one of the most incredible experiences in my life . The more i told hubby the more attentive he became and frankly we had more sex than ever. i also lost 60 pounds!!! i never went to this guy believe me i wanted to. " is a ticket to nowhere, hell brake your heart . glad i dint
    youmakemydreams

Answer by youmakemydreams at 2:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• we can't speed along grief. it's all in how you choose to look at things. if you want your kids will leave you in the "dust" but if you don't want that you can choose to see things differently or even change things by your thoughts and actions until then. there is a cycle to life and we all come to terms with this at some point, some make peace, some never do. It's all in how we look at it. being alive is a gift, instead of worrying of all the what if's and why not's...try living and feeling alive. remind yourself of the reasons why your here, what you enjoy, who you love, and what you want to share. you have a mark to leave and being alive is a gift in my book. try living your life and daily finding a moment where you can say "it's moments like this it's good to be alive", babies giggling, chocolate, the sunshine, a friend that called...just all the little stuff.
    Anonymous