My 3 Year Old Having "Mood Swings" w/ My bf...

How do I get my daughter to have more to do with my bf? We live together and he's been more of a dad than her real dad. She's even started calling him daddy. Sometimes she'll get up in his lap or she'll want him to pick her up, but other times she's like "No i want mama" or "No I want mama to fix me something to drink" if he's trying to help me out. It really hurts his feelings bc he tries so hard with her. Anbody else ever have this problem or have any advice? Is this just something she's going to have to get used to or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she is 3! that's it! my 4yr old does that and we have both been there since day one.
    i would be more worried if she DIDN'T do that to him, it just means that he is her daddy and she is three, nothing more
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• that's normal behavior for a preschool aged child. is her dad at all in the picture? that's got to be pretty confusing for her, if he is... it'd be cool if he could come up with something that was THEIR thing, just the two of them. bedtime stories or something. he can bond and have some special connection with her. i think it'll help. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My 4 yo dd does the same. On week she only wants mommy to help, the next she only wants daddy. Then there are the weeks she wants to do everything by herself.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Just explain to him that its not anything personal, that its what i call "three year old attitude." My son does that. Some days, he prefers daddy to do something, other days he prefers me too. Just like he cuddles more with my husband than me, but wants me to play with him more and prefers it that i tuck him into bed at both nap time and bed time.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2009