My daughter is 7 months and started sucking her thumb and other fingers. She use to use a binky but I took it away should I give them back to her?

I use to giver her a pacifier and took it away cause one week she got sick and didn't want it. She had the hand foot mouth thing that the sores were all over her so it hurt for her to eat and use the binky. I have heard it is easier to get a child off a pacifier (you can just take it away) than getting the child off of sucking her thumb. What should I do?

Lyndsay13

Asked by Lyndsay13 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 7 months old and has been off the binky since he was 3 months but he really never took to it and instead he rather suck on his fingers, hands, and thumb but now he has discovery his feet he loves playing with them and trying to put them in this mouth. i think you should just let her suck on her thumb and most baby who suck there thumb will stop once they get older and taking away the binky is the best for her because she can always find other way to smoothe herself without using the binky
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would give it back especially if she has teeth already. Our dentist has told us that the pacifier won't hurt their teeth but the thumb will.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Don't stop her from sucking on her thumb... it's natural & unless she is sucking her fingers ALL day, it won't hurt her teeth. Besides, she could be teething. My 2 year old just recently started sucking his fingers again b/c he's teething. She'll probably stop sucking on her thumb on her own.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008