I dont know how to cook different things... help?

I can only cook a few things. I can cook chicken (i have a couple different ways to cook chicken thats why i can make it work), any kind of pasta, chili, tacos, hot dogs you know, stuff that isnt very hard to cook. My mom didnt cook "home made" meals when I was growing up. Everything came out of a box/the freezer. It really hasn't been a problem cuz SO and I both work nights and my son was with SO's mom. But now I am not working as often and would like to be able to cook a variety of things for dinner. So does anyone know of any cook books that will help me learn how to cook more, or does any one have some simple recipes that use other ingredients? ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

blondie09

Asked by blondie09 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Heck, before I got married...I could make a mean hot dog, chicken alfredo and well, that's about it. lol I was used to homemade meals before I got married so I never really learned.

That being said, I LOVE to cook now and make almost everything! Everything is trial and error. Cookbooks, online recipe site, there's recipe groups here, etc etc. Personally for cookbooks, I love the Betty Crocker (the HUGE edition one) and then basically any cookbook from a FoodNetwork chef. lol

Some good online recipe sites are:

www.foodnetwork.com
    www.allrecipes.com
    www.recipesource.com

Those are just to name a few. You can always google recipes and a ton will come up! Some even have rating that you can judge it by too. GL!!!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 1:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Try allrecipes.com. Zillions of easy recipes there. Also, Taste of Home is a GREAT magazine to subscribe to.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 5:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There is a fantastic cookbook put out by Cook's Illustrated that takes all these usually complicated, time consuming recipes and changes them into quick, delicious recipes that are a cinch to make. It's called The Quick Recipe. Everything is under and hour, most under 30 min from start to finish. Detailed directions, easy to understand, with interspersed tidbits that show you why they made the changes they did and how it works for the recipe.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• taste of home cook books are awesome
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Any good, basic cookbook can teach you what you want to know. Take them out of the library first to see if you like them. I recommend Fanny Farmer, Good Housekeeping, and the Settlement Cookbook.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Why don't you ask your MIL to help you learn a few things? She'd be flattered as hell and it's so much easier to learn how to cook things when someone shows you what the words mean. I swear there have to be at least 4 billion ways to say "combine this ingredient with that ingredient" in cookbook lingo!

Plus, maybe she'll teach you how to cook some of your SO's favorites! :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I watch Food Network a lot to get ideas, and if I like a recipe they show, go online and get a copy. I also love the Taste of Home books, they're usually right by the checkout at the store. Most of the recipes in there are fairly simple and always have pics! Don't feel bad, before I got married, I didn't cook unless it was in the microwave! (Or spaghetti!) You can also ask your friends and family for some simple recipes to get you started.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 4:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• well I just started an online cooking show, not much there but I will give a new recipe every week.
    I show each step, please watch and leave feedback, and tell me anything you would like to see

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mavanna256
    Mavanna

Answer by Mavanna at 7:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009