Do mom's with PDD children get any checks for your child with disablity?

I have a child with PDD and I wanted to know if he qualify's for any checks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You would need to apply for SSI. It would depend on the severity of your child's disability.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It also depends on your income. I applied because I am a single mother, and was denied because they said I make too much.

xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Magpie75 where do you apply for SSI? what does that stand for? do you apply at the foodstamp place?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not automatically...only if your income qualifies. Otherwise, if your child is still on the spectrum when they are 18 THEY can apply for themselves. Not sure if it will be based on THEIR income, though. Hate to be a naysayer, but there probably won't BE any funds to support the SS and SSI program in the next 10+ years!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• For what it's worth, try this site... http://connections.govbenefits.gov/ssa_en.portal

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Apply at the Social Security Admin, They will have you go through all sort of test with thier doctors and compare info with yours.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• The SSA doesn't have doctors that evaluate your children! They may RECOMMEND you see a specialist if you are concerned and do not yet have a diagnosis. But, if you have seen and received an official diagnosis from a Board Certified NeuroDevelopmental Pediatrician, they will only ask you to give them a copy of the diagnosis.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• LoriKeet:                   When my daughter had open heart surgery @ 3 mo after she got out theydid a  re-certification period for her ssi check they made me go to particular doctors. The lady i spoke to at SSA said we could not bring the report from her cardiologist it had to be from the one they had. Maybe she just stated it wrong.

4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son has speech delay and other minor issues, not PDD, and I get checks for him. Yes, SSA WILL have a specialist evaluate your child, and will consider the findings of that evaluation ALONG with your childs regular doc's diagnosis.  Sorry LoriKeet, your info is incorrect.

Apply online at SSA.gov and goodluck if you do.  It takes while, depending on your situation.  I applied and was granted checks in 3 months.  For others it can take longer. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• To the OP: If you have copies of any evaluations done on your child, have them ready to send in as soon as you apply. It will help speed up the process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009