Cheapest monthly Cell Phone plan

I hardly ever go out and would rarely use it, but I want a cell phone for when I do take the kids out. The cheapest plans I've seen are $39.99 a month. That would just be dumb waste of money if I ended up not even using it. Anyone know which companies offer a cheaper plan?

toomanypoodles

Asked by toomanypoodles at 4:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Shopping

• What about a pay-as-you-go phone?

I believe Virgin has a pretty good plan - that way you can throw it in your glove box and only worry about it once a month or so. They also have pretty cheap phones (not an ad for them - we have AT&T, it just popped into my head).

We are only cellular - no landline. It's great because I have one number to remember and anyone can reach me at any time (which is also kind of the downside). Our bill for both of us is pretty reasonable since it's configured to suit us - our calls to each other are free, unlimited text, blah, blah, blah.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have a plan through my AAA. It's $22.50 a month plus calls. I don't use my phone that often, so I only rack up about $8 worth. Texting for the first 50 texts is free. So my monthly bill is only about $30-$32 dollars. And I have a nice Nokia flip phone. No, it doesn't take pictures, and you can't surf the web on it or get stock quotes, but it's perfect for me. I'm very happy with it.
    Reener

Answer by Reener at 8:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would suggest looking into a pay as you go plan. Wal-Mart usually has a pretty good selection of them, the phones themselves are usually around $20, then you only pay for the minutes you use.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 2:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Thanks! I'll look into Virgin and Walmart! We don't have AAA.... :(
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 8:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Hey! THANKS! I looked at walmart.com and got set up with a reasonable monthly package and a free phone! Thanks for guiding this old lady in the right direction.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 4:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• For choosing your cell phone plan,Go to a phone shop in town, tell them what you want, they can advise.Before getting your cell phone service provider,Make sure your phone is unlocked and accept that carrier,If it's restricted by other network carrier means,You will need to unlock your phone.For unlocking you can approach your current network provider or else try to buy an unlocking service from any one of the online unlocking service provider like  Unlock-Zone.com  I hope it will be very useful to you.

puppychellam

Answer by puppychellam at 12:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2014