Dog licking baby?

Is this ok?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 6:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Dogs mouths are cleaner than humans. And my dog use to give my kids "kisses" when they were babies, and they all are fine. So I don't see anything wrong with it.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I think it is grose, but I can't get my child to stay away from the dog and she is always letting the dog lick her hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• its so ok. both my kids love it when the dog does it to them. i know this i going to gross people out but my 2 year old loves to share her binki with the dog. two years doing it and not a thing has happened to her

marissad

Answer by marissad at 9:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• lol I've always heard its ok, but it gives me the heebie jeebies - i mean that dog licks his ass and balls/vag with that mouth. clean or not - that's icky lol
    I would allow hand licking but remind the kids to wash often and no face licking after they are no longer puppies and discover that licking their butthole is a fun way to pass the time.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My dog likes to like my dd and she loves it so she opens her mouth and he lickes inside her mouth! Yucky!! But she loves it. Not too much you can do. It's not too bad, but there can be some germ sharing there. No serious illnesses for my duaghter yet :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• People can get worms from dogs. Try to avoid letting the dog lick her face and hands.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• thats not good! at allllllll
    Anonymous

• I THINK ITS DISGUSTING AND THERE WAS A SPECIAL ON 20/20 THEY SAID THATS JUST A MYTH DOGS MOUTHS ARE NOT CLEANER THEN HUMANS ITS JUST SOMETHING PEOPLE MADE UP AS AN EXCUSE FOR THERE DOGS ITS GROSE
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I have three dogs and foster dogs too. I have two young kids that LOV"E the dogs. They get licked all the time. It is not a big deal at all. As long as the dog is wormed and does not eat poop-yes some dogs do that--it is fine..
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It's not a big deal to let your dog lick your child. I do recommend the dog be dewormed annually. Worms are contagious to people and are transferred through contact. Having kids especially you should really deworm you pets. Kids pet the animals then stick their fingers in their mouth...Every kid does it. It's fairly inexpensive to deworm you pets.
    momiwant1

Answer by momiwant1 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2009