Smoking around baby.

What does it do? My fiancé and father smoke around my son and I want to tell them somethings that might scare them to stop!

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 6:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't want to judge, but why in the world would you put your child around that stuff?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I am sorry to say this... BUT this is a form of abuse in my opinion!!!!

The reason I have really bad asthma problems now is because I had family members smoking around me!

THEY NEED TO STOP ASAP!!!!! and if they refuse to go outside to smoke is your job to take the baby away from them when they light up a cigarret!

I am not kidding... this is serious you can damage your baby's lungs forever.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 6:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would look information up on the computer... their is even dangers with 3rd hand smoke now! I don't bring my daughter to peoples houses who smoke because it isn't fair to her to have to be around the smoke. Why don't you tell them to smoke outside of the home??? It's better than smoking directly into your childs face.. Their are soo many bad things about this.. just look it up for some bad things... good luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It doesn't matter if you smoke around them or outside... either way the residue is still on your skin and clothes and is just as harmful. My sister almost died to breathing issues directly related to my parents smoking (they quit cold turkey after that). My step son was born early and had a scare while living with my BIL (hubby was in Korea). The BIL and SIL both smoke and he developed viral pneumonia and severe breathing issues and almost died. The docs said that wether you smoke directly in front of or outside that it doesn't matter, because you still bring the poisons in on your skin and clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• http://no-smoking.org/june06/06-20-06-1.html

HTH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with some others, print some things off the computer and give it to them, bring them to see your pediatrician so he/she can explain the terrible things it will do to your child! It is actually illegal to smoke in a car with children in some states! It's like giving your a child a cigarette to smoke! Get them to stop ASAP, there should be no smoking in a house with infants or children! Protect your child!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with what everyone is saying also check with your state. I know NY will give you free and low cost quit smoking things ( The patch, and smoking gum I think..)

I simple quit smoking and never turned back when they told me what it did to my unborn child, then I started having "medical problems @ 27 wks doc s said DS would be born early. I told SO he had to quit or he would not be able to be around his son period. My mom even quit smokeing in her home and then was able to quit smoking altogether when I talked about how her smoke would effect my son.

Good luck mama, sometimes you have to be pushy, but just kno9w in your heart your doing what is best for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I also have asthma and I grew up in a smoker's household my entire life. I struggle with my problems on a daily basis now and take up to 3 different medications for my problems.

Educate yourself on what happens with cig smoke and arm yourself with facts.

Does your father live with you guys or only smoke when he visits? See if you can make a "no smoking" rule and send everyone outside if they want to smoke. It's not fair to your child to deal with that crap. People who have never smoked a cig in their life but have been around cig smoke have had lung cancer. They had no choice in the matter.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It's your kid... don't allow it. If you're bothered by it let them know that and be firm about it. If they love your son and want to see him, they'll stop.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You know I am a smoker but no way do I smoke around any of my kids. Especially with one being severely asthmatic. But even if she wasnt being that small and inhaling that crap is not good
    momneedshelp3

Answer by momneedshelp3 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009