do you sit the baby up at 3 months or some say its not good for the spine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard that it is bad for the spine...My son sat up in a high chair at three months and loved it...but I really don't know.
    Betc04

Answer by Betc04 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• its absolutely NOT good for the spine. the baby's spine is really weak, especially at only 3months.

before your child is not at least 10months old it shouldnt sit up for longer than a couple minutes.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We've sat our baby up since about 3 months or so. I know lots of mom's that use bumbo's with their children that young, our daughter is 8 months old now and she sits up by herself and can sit and play in the living room for about 20 minutes before she finds something to roll over to.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My baby wanted to stand from early on then when she realized that wasn't working she wanted to sit. She was trying soo hard to do it. I never used those new chairs out that force you baby to sit b/c of developmental concerns. But bouncers, high chairs, sitting them on your lap while you are supporting them isn't going to hurt. I wouldn't prop baby up or anything. The thing is to make ure they have adequate support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It's fine to let them sit up.

All three of mine were sitting my themselves (not even tripod) at 4 months, they crawled at 6-8 months....WAY before 10 months! They should be sitting, or at least attempting to sit way before then...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My son was always wanting to sit at 3 months. Usually on my lap. Now at 5 months he sits on his own.
    I just did some research on the topic, and what I found was that if they can sit on their own without pillow or bumbos or whatever then it's fine.. but if they need support it isn't good for them and you should wait for them to do it on their own time. (same with standing, they shouldn't be held up with things like jumperoos or thingsl like that)
    Interesting, huh? At least I never knew this before!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2009