• In the Spotlight:

How much sleep does your 5 month old get?

My dd has been getting up at 3 or 4 and is ready to go for the day. I put her down at 7:15 and she used to sleep till 6. Is it possible she doesn't require as much sleep anymore? She only naps about 2 hours total during the day. Could it have to do with teething? I would hate to switch her schedule and this is just a phase. I thought babies required a little more sleep than what she is currently getting. Thanks for the input!

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby doesn't go to bed until 9:00 and is up at 7:00 for the day (along with waking 4-6 times during the night) So that's 10 hours... and he probably is awake for 2 of them. (so 8 hours) And he takes about 4 naps a day for a total of about 3 hours

So like 11 hours is all he sleeps
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• well you already know about my heavy sleeper.. some kids do that for a little while, does she get tired after playing for an hour or so at 4 in the morning? If so then maybe it really isn't time for her to get up.. maybe she's just got herself so worked up that she thinks she wants to get up. I would try keeping the lights really low or off, going in and calming her for a little bit and then putting her back down quietly. If she's awake in her crib then no big deal as long as she's not crying, but if she's hysterical then I don't know LOL.. can you push her bedtime later? That might give you a little more sleep! I know mine goes to bed between 8-10pm. We have our last bottle, play for an hour or until she's tired, then go to bed.. it all depends on her tho. And just wait, as soon as you think you've got a schedule.. she's gonna change it.. its just how it works
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• When my dd was that age she slept 8-12 hours at night then took a 4 hour nap. Now she is 7 months teething and her schedule is I put her to bed at 9 she sleeps until 9:30 then we feed her and read to her and have play time than at 1:00 she takes a nap and doesn't wake up till 6 sometimes later sometimes early but then she gets a bath and goes right back to sleep.
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 6:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I meant to say her routine.
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 6:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• And at 1 we feed her and after that she takes a nap. And she doesn't wake up during the night at all. She started sleeping a lot and was doing that since she was 5 weeks old.
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 6:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2009