What should I do to wean my 14 month old off of the bottle

Milli7186

Asked by Milli7186 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• umm well when my daughter turned 1 with her being in daycare they wouldnt let her have the bottle, she did pretty well with it, we gave her a bottle right when she woke up and then when she was about 14 months i was out of school so we got rid of the morning bottle and now she just has one at night, so i think you just have to slowly do it kinda, replace a couple bottles with sippy cups and then gradually get rid of the others..
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• We took the bottle away completely at about 1 year. It was only a struggle for about 1-3 days. After that she was fine. We tried several different sippy cups until we found one she could drink easily from. (We had good luck with the Nubys). I think it's faster and easier if you just take the bottle away all together. Also.. doing it now is nice because they don't have enough of a long term memory to remember the bottle after a couple weeks.
    Anonymous

• Start by cutting out most of the bottles. By the time they turned one all my kids were down to 1 or 2 (for my youngest) bottles a day, usually before bed at night. The rest of the time they drank water in a cup. Of course my kids have been drinking water, juice and milk in a cup since they were 6 months old so it was never an issue getting them used to a sippy and milk.
    You can then water down the milk. The first couple days put 3/4 milk and 1/4 water. The next few days do 1/2 and 1/2 and then put mostly water and just a little milk. After that just put water in the bottle. It worked with my oldest and we found out my son didn't actually want the milk. He just liked sucking on the bottle so we put just water in it then we stopped putting anything in it and just gave him and empty bottle. He was strange, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Take the Bottles away completely and DO NOT give in to the demands. Give your little one sippy cups or the cups with a straw. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I just took her bottles away and i gave her those Nubby or something like that sippy cups she ajusted pretty good since it has a soft tip ( like a bottle) then i started introducing the ones with the harder tip.
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Give your kid a sippy cup for ALL of her drinks except naptime & bedtime for about a week. Then pick a day when he/she isn't too crabby at naptime & give them a sippy cup instead. My son asked for "milk" (sign language) and I told him, "This IS your milk." he refused it for a few minutes, but eventually gave in & drank it. That same night, he only fussed for literally 2 minutes before giving in to the sippy... and hasn't had a bottle since.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i've been cutting down the bottles gradually for a few weeks. i started by taking away a mid-morning bottle, then afternoon, then first morning. they are now down to just a bedtime bottle, which they will lose tomorrow night. i have been doing a bedtime routine that includes a sippy cup of milk about 30 minutes before bedtime. they get so filled up on that last sippy cup that they barely drink anything from their bottle. i haven't had ANY problems doing it this way. i really don't think they'll even miss it too much when i take it away...keep your fingers crossed for me, and good luck to you!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2008