Question for hunting families

I have 2 sons, ages 5 & 7 almost 8. My parents hunt, and they have told me that they would like to teach my kids gun safety and how to hunt. When they told me this, I was ok with it, b/c I thought they meant when they are teens or something. But now they are talking about starting this "in a yr or two". I feel like my sons, even in a yr or two are too young for this. Don't get me wrong, I've taught them some basic gun safety, you know, never touch a gun, find an adult if you find one, etc. But I don't feel my sons will be ready to learn to fire a gun and hunt. I tend to be overprotective, though, and I know this. So, I want to know at what age did you/do you start teaching your kids gun safety and hunting skills? When they are 6/7, 8/9 are they old enough and I'm just over protective or am I right to think they will be too young?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 9:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• my hubby always took the boys hunting with him when they were like nine and ten would never let them shoot at that age but just teaching them and letting them be there to watch was a help. my youngest step son started hunting with his grandfather at age twelve
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I want my hubby to start teaching our son once he is physcially and mentally able to hold and shoot a gun. which I'm thinking will be around 5 or 6. It's important for them to learn early :) I'm not saying he's going to just go outside and shoot the gun and go hunting whenever, just to get accustomed to guns, how they work and HOW TO BE SAFE. I'm sure your kids will be fine, but your the mom if you are concerned for legit reasons then don't allow it. However, if you know your being over protected then let them teach :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My daughters 8 and 10 go hunting. They can't get a hunting license yet, but it is good to teach them about gun safety, shot accuracy, learning how to track, being quiet and observant, to me the earlier the better.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I feel it is too young myself. My side of the family is all about hunting and I'm truly grateful my DH is not. Gun safely is great at any age, but teaching them to use a gun and how to kill, No. You're not being overprotective, trust your instincts and wait.
    My brother taught my nephews to use guns and they are 6 and 9. I do not feel that they are old enough, or that they truly understand what they are doing by killing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• 9 or 10 sounds reasonable. Younger too if they are responsible and properly supervised. It all depends on the people involved and the type of gun. Obviously you aren't going to give a 5 year old a really powerful gun! But never too early to teach gun saftety and it's important to know how the gun works, not just "not to touch it".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I was about 4 when I started hunting with my grandparents, my son is just now learning how to handle guns, and how to respect and handle guns, and going hunting and he's 5. He knows not to point a gun at anyone and only goes near them if he asks one of us to show him something.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I think they should already be learning gun safety. The hunting I would wait until my boys were 12, but gun safety...never too young to start that!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't think it's necessary to know how to fire a gun as a child.
    My hubby has never fired an actual gun, and I hope he never has to!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 8 and goes hunting with my dad every year since she was 3 or 4 old enough to be quiet and still. she has been shooting and learning gun safety since she was born my parents have a large ranch with 2 shooting ranges one for archery and one for guns and she has gone to the ranges since birth and watched and learned and shoots with supervision now that she is older.
    momfairy

Answer by momfairy at 12:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2009