Where do you hide your "toys"

So, mine used to be in the nightstand drawer until my 8 yr old found them. I hid them in the dresser in the closet then. Well, last night she finds them again. My SO says it's not a big deal because my 8 yr old doesn't know what they are. To me, it is a big deal, because she'll figure it out eventually or go to school and say something to someone. He thinks I should put them back in the nightstand and just talk to her about them. I feel I should hide them somewhere else again and talk to her about privacy and staying out of our stuff. Who's right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both of you are right, although her age needs to be taken into consideration. 8 is too young to explain what a sex toy is and what it is used for IMO. I'd talk about privacy now, and wait at LEAST a year or 2 before having that particular talk.

I put mine in the back of a dresser drawer, although I'm thinking I need to start putting them in a plain box in the top of the closet.

Can't forget my then 3 year old coming in after finding my rabbit in my nightstand and saying 'Ooh mommy it tickles'. I was mortified. The kids haven't had the opportunity to find anything since.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• you are both right. her snooping needs to be brought under control, and it is your responsibility to remove the chance for her to discover inappropriate items. we keep our 'gear' in a gym bag with a small combination padlock on it so the worst that can happen is the kids find a vibrating bag lol. once you properly secure your stuff, you need to address your daughter's snooping. I would absolutely not tell her what it's for, unless you like scarring her for life ;-)

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Funny story...... When my boys where 2 and under, I was on the computer and heard them arguing over something. Turned around to see them fighting over my toy. UG!!! Right then, they went into hiding!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I think you have to be honest with her. Since she found them once and is more then likely going to look for them again until you talk to her about what they are for. I am not saying that you have to give her full details on what you use them for, you just have to talk to her.

I understand that she is 8 and that is young, I just think you need to explain something to her in a way that she can understand. You might start by asking her what she thinks they are for. I understand that you want to teach her about privacy and all, but I would be a little careful with that. If you start telling her that they are something private then at some point she might turn that around on you.

I guess for me I would be honest without giving to many details

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Yes, my bedroom is off limits without my permission. That is my adult space. Children need to respect that.
    I would leave them where they are and address the boundary line she crossed over.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Oh and I wouldn't even address the toy issue. The problem isn't with the fact you have toys the problem is her going through things that aren't hers.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Don't have any toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I don't think you can possibly tell her "the truth" about what they are....think about that one! Too much information, given too soon, and about MOM of all people. Even as adults we don't want to have that conversation with our Moms do we? No way....I think you need to put that stuff in a place where there is no possible way the kids could ever find it. For now, tell her she does need to stay out of your stuff.....and if she asks too many questions I think you should make up a plausible answer about what the item is so she never thinks about it again as long as she lives. I don't think honesty is always the best policy. The poor child would be more confused with that kind of incomprehensible information!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A couple times my young ones have found them and asked what they were. I just said none of your business and put it back in the drawer - way in the back this time. LOL. And I told them that they need to stay out of mommies' stuff. Since then I haven't had to worry about it. My older kids know better to stay out of my stuff so I don't even worry about it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I'm the OP. I just want to say, he doesn't want me to tell her exactly what they are or are used for. His exact words to me were, "You need to tell her that these are grown-up things and not act like it's a big deal." I just feel saying that to her is going to open up a new can of worms. I say they're grown up things, she'll want to know what that means, and on and on. I don't feel she's ready for that. I apprecate all the answers so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2009