How do you not get mommy guilt from your child getting sick at day care?

My son started day care in November. He has been sick with cold after cold, ear infections and now maybe pink eye with a stomache bug! How do working moms with kids in day care not feel like it's their fault? And why does he have to be sick for 2 months straight? We are going to the DR for the 4th time today since he started day care. He was never this sick before in his 2 years of life.

aidensmomma508

Asked by aidensmomma508 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I wish I had advice. The other ladies all said what my pediatrician told me. (he is getting his immune system built up and will either do it now or when school starts) My son always seems sick. I hate it. I feel horrible about it and would do anything to keep him home with me. He loves his teachers there and his friends there. That is what helps me keep my sanity or I would be sick with worry.

I also sort of work where he goes to daycare, so we cant really switch either!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• and this is why he doesn't go to day care.. our moms are wonderful. thank God for them!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It's a fact that it is going to happen. Nothing you can do about. If you have to work and out your child in daycare there should be no guilt.
    Anonymous

• OH w/e, kids are going to get sick no matter where they are! You can run to the damn store or bank with your child and they can get sick from a virus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A lot of kids tend to get sick time after time when they first start daycare. Was he at home with you for the two yrs previous to this? That would be why. My kids didn't get sick that often til they started going to daycare. They get exposed to all these new germs and viruses that they didn't at home, so they get sick. It should stop soon, but if it doesn't, I'd have his dr really check him out, make sure he doesn't have an underlying problem and then maybe think about changing daycares if he doesn't. If he continues getting sick for a lot longer, then I'd think maybe the daycare isn't doing their job of sending/keeping sick kids home. Hope he feels better soon!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• you can't cure mommy guilt, its a terminal disease ;-)
    if it wasn't that it would be something else, you just have to deal with it. you might also want to put your child on probiotics, they help bolster a healthy immune system.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Look at it this way. Kids get sick. Kids get sicker when they are around other kids for the first time. If your child is at day care, they are building up an immunity earlier. Kids who don't go to day care, get sick when they start school. Personally, I"d rather my child miss day care than school. You're just getting the sicknesses out of the way earlier.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I wanted to add that, yes he was at home with me before he started day care, i was a stay at home mom....I work at his day care, so I can't just switch him either....thanks for the help ladies!
    aidensmomma508

Answer by aidensmomma508 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• It happens more at first, but less and less over time. If it didn't happen now, it might happen when he first starts school so don't feel guilty.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• No one can erase your guilt but you. Just remember that your child needs to be exposed to viruses in order to build up their immune system. This is how the body is designed. Most children who are home before kindergarten have a rough first year in school because they get bombarded by new bugs they have never been exposed to before.
    karmalove

Answer by karmalove at 11:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009