Public schools and vaccine free kiddos?

Anyone know how to enroll a child who is vaccine free in a public school in TX?

HerMidgesty

Asked by HerMidgesty at 9:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Go to the Board of Education for your district and get the exemption forms. Don't let them tell you they do not have them...they do. I can't remember exactly what exceptions Texas offers....
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• i don't think they should be allowed in school without some of there shots
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Anon your answer carries no weight when you sign anon. If your vaxxed kids are vaxxed then WTH are you so worried about??? Could it be that you know deep down that they are NOT in fact safe or effective?
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I agree with the first P, get the exemption forms. Most states have a religious or medical exemption. I'm also not sure what TX has since I'm in Illinois. Be prepared to deal with the school. Sounds like most of them really harrass people about getting vaccs and makes them believe the kids can't go to school without them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Thank you everyone who had a useful answer :)
    HerMidgesty

Answer by HerMidgesty at 10:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Texas has all three exemptions. I don't think you'll have too much of a propblem. Good luck!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Here's the official site for Texas:
    http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/school/default.shtm#exclusions

And really people! I fully support vaccines. But I also know that the choices I make for MY family aren't right for every family. We all do the best we can. We make our choices, we take our chances. Some parents who vaccinate end up wishing they hadn't for a variety of reasons. Some parents who didn't vaccinate end up wishing they had - for a variety of reasons. Why do we have to bash parents who don't make the same choices we do?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You just get the exemption form sign it, and get it notarized. they can't do a thing about it! My best friend was unvaxxed through school and I had no idea and she never got sick! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• children without shots should not be in school also..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• what are you afraid of ryanlynn.. that the vaccines you trust so much will suddenly become "ineffective" if your child meets an un vaccinated child? LOL. Good news is your thoughts mean nothing. Public schools mean access to everyone, so long as the proper paperwork is filled out.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2009