How did you cope with the first day of daycare?

We are starting daycare next week, and I am already feeling horribly guilty. Savannah is 11 months old and has been spending her days with Grandma, now we have to go to a stranger. She already exhibits some separation anxiety, I don't know what I am going to do

Asked by Tiffany711 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sued to work at a daycare center as a lead teacher, and my advice to mothers always was to drop their children off, wait 10 or 15 miutes, and then peek back in the room at them (w/o them seeing you, of course) and 9 times out of 10, you will see your kid having a great time...alos, make sure the daycare center is one that has an open drop-in policy, meaning you can come and check up on your child anytime, or spend time in your child's room whenever you want...good luck and don't feel to guilty!

Answer by charlysmom08 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well, my son is like that, also. He started going to daycare providers (home care) around 10 months and he still doesn't like it and he's 14 months, BUT at least now he'll cry for a few minutes after I leave and when I come to pick him up, between times if it's busy enough or if the daycare provider sits and plays with him then he's fine. I will say for you to make sure your child gets used to who ever or where she's at. My son just was NOT trying to hear it when I kept taking him to this one lady, He didn't like the way she did things apparently because when I tried someone else, he was just fine. It's never easy, but you gotta start somewhere! Good luck!

Answer by pbjmomi at 3:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Tiffany,
    My son just turned 4 in April and has spent most of his life in day care (the same one no less) - I first put him in at 14 months. Of course it was difficult, I cried all the way to work, and couldn't wait to pick him up. What I did to cope actually started before he even started attending. I really took the time to investigate, research my options, and interview all possible candidates (and took my son with me to actually see the interaction), before I decided on a day care for him. Once I picked him up on that first day, and saw how well he had taken it, and how much fun he had, I knew that the time and consideration I put into placing him somewhere had really paid off. I felt confident about my decision and was able to cope almost immediately with the change. I think that if I had rushed into his care situation, it would have taken me a lot longer to find that level of comfort.
    I hope this helps! If you have anything else you want to ask, just hit me up. Tak

Answer by Jennamom421 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would say, go to the daycare with him a couple times before you start dropping him off (for about 1/2 hour a day), so that you can stay in the room with him and play so that he knows that room is safe. Start walking around the room (day 2) not like you're leaving, but just looking around. If you are comfortable there, chances are, your kid will be. But yes, it is hard to leave them.

Answer by hallen08 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My Son is 11 months old and he has been going since he is 9 months old and he loves it. At first, he was a little confused. (his grandmother was just watching him) but he is around 4 other boys (the daycare has 2 rooms and he is in the smaller room) and he loves going and loves his teacher. Make sure you stick with a good routine - maybe when you pick him up, I put his music on and give him his toys when he's in his car seat and I do the same routine that way he is not confused. I'm glad he is in the daycare he is in - because he has advance so much! Hope this helps!

Answer by Jill317 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008