How soon do I start feeding my baby the rice cereal?

Most of the time it seems like my milk isn't filling up my 8 week old. He'll eat and fall asleep and wake up to minutes later to eat some more. I've been saving milk to put in bottles while I'm at work, and we put a little formula in the bottles but he eats a 6 oz bottle right after i get to work and another 6 oz bottle in 2 hrs and another 6 oz bottle before they leave to get me. I work a half hr away only for 5 hrs a day.

iloveme7290

Asked by iloveme7290 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO, rice cereal is garbage. Personally, I would stay away from any solids at all until at least 6 months. It sounds like your little one might be hitting a growth spurt. The best thing for a growth spurt is to continue to nurse on demand, so that your body increases milk production.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Drs. recommend between 4 -5 months but I've seen here on cafemom some mms starting as young as 4 weeks old. I would consult my Dr. before starting solids at such a young age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I thought it was usually 4-6 months. Right now your milk should be all he needs. I have found that formula is not as filling as breast milk so maybe because you are supplementing he needs more? Talk to your doc about solids, but I think he's a little you still. His digestive track isn't sophisticated enough to process anything more thick than the milk or formula. I use rice cereal and don't think that it's "garbage" at all. It is full of calcium and iron. But your baby may not be ready yet.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• im not supplementing im adding formula to the breast milk to fill him up more
    iloveme7290

Answer by iloveme7290 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Usually between 4 to 6 months it is time to start solids. Every baby is different.
    Your baby will show signs of being ready for solids, they will be able to grasp a spoon and bring it up to their mouth. They will be able to hold their heads up with control and no support. They will watch you eat and open their mouth like a baby bird. When a baby can take cereal off of a spoon and move it from the front of their mouth to the back and swallow they are ready for solids.
    If you are concerned that your baby is still hungry after nursing or having a bottle increase the number of times per day you are feeding or increase the amount a little. You baby may be going through a growth spurt. Since their tummies are so tiny about the size of their fists, when they go through growth spurts they often have to eat more often as they can not eat more in one sitting.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 11:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Not until he is at leat 4 months.
    And adding formula to the breastmilk if only going to make a really fat baby! That is what they for for premmies that need to gain weight. It's just extra calories... I would stop doing this... besides it doesn't seem to be helping.
    It's normal for a baby that eats breastmilk to eat often... it digests faster.
    Maybe he is just going through a growth spurt? OR does he sleep really well at night? He might be getting all of his intake in in a short period of time (my friends baby sleeps 12 hours and during the day takes 6 oz bottles every 2 hours also)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Even if you did start giving him cereal now, he's still going to take more breastmilk/formula. It has fewer calories and it's not even given for nutrition, it's given for practice.

You're giving formula in addition to breastmilk, you are supplementing. It doesn't matter how it's delivered (seperate or with), its in addition to...

Give him more breastmilk (or formula). That's hwat he should be taking. Feed on demand.

My children ate 8 ounces at a feeding at that age and just as often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• it's often recommended to store your breastmilk in 2 to 4 oz containers because that is commonly how much a breastfed baby will take at one feeding. if he's still hungry after eating a bottle that size then you can offer more breastmilk but i would avoid using formula as it will cause your supply to drop.
    instead of adding formula to his bottles i would suggest adding in another pumping session. this will give you more milk to add to his bottles when you are away from him and it will also help boost your supply.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Your baby may just be going through a growth spurt. This is completely normal. When they are growing, they eat frequently to stimulate your milk supply. They're not starving, and although it's annoying, it's completely normal. And, if you plan on continuing to BF, you should know that using formula can reduce your milk supply, so unless you want to continue to suppliment, just be aware of that.
    You should usually introduce solids around 6mo. Around 6 months is when a bay's digestive system is able to actually properly digest foods. If you start too early, your baby may eat the food, but it's only taking up space in their stomach, not really doing much else except for taking up space because the baby isn't able to properly break it down.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I started feeding my oldest cereal almost right away, he was going through an 8oz bottle every 2 hours and was still hungry, my pediatrician recommended it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009