Prince Harry today stands accused of racism in home video footage. Does anyone else see this as a HUGE slap in the face to his mother?

The soldier prince pours shame on the Royal Family as he calls an Asian squaddie “our little Paki friend” and tells another officer cadet jokingly wearing a camouflage veil off duty: “F*** me, you look like a raghead”—an offensive term for an Arab. ...
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/123700/Watch-Prince-Harrys-racist-outbursts-on-video.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Prince Harry has a pretty big case of foot in mouth disease. I really don't have an opinion about him other than that. The way I see it, every family has a 'prince harry'.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• A 3 year old video suddenly coming out now and making front page news? Please - what's happening in the world that we're not supposed to be noticing? This is clearly a distraction piece.
    I guess they couldn't get Britney Spears to flash her vagina again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Is anyone REALLY surprised that a sheltered child of extreme privilege would look down upon those not like him?!  Prejudice begins when we don't understand something.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Wow, so you mean, he is normal? He says offensive shit just like real folks. And this made the news? Please. WTF does this have to do with his mother?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Anon 9:25, I see what you mean about sheltered and privileged kids, but his brother isn't like that. I stand by my earlier statement. Every family has a Prince Harry.

Anon 9:20, I didn't realize that this was 3 years old. Isn't that when he wore the Nazi costume to a Halloween party? Maybe it was a phase he was going through? I agree though, why bring this out now? Something smells of cover up.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• There is a lot of studies out there that talk about needing to detach from the enemy so that you can shoot and kill without regard. If you thought of them as actual people it would be much more psychologically traumatizing. As in - almost none of the soldiers could wage a full out war against a humanized enemy. Much of the military supports that detachment process. Do I think that it is right? No I do not. I do believe that he was caught doing what many of his peers are doing and that it is not solely a Prince Henry issue. It is a much bigger issue than that. I do think that as a public figure he needs to be always acutely aware, unfair or not, that the world is watching him. Remember the incident where he dressed as a Nazi for Halloween a few years ago? As far as his mother, I'm sure that she would have love him regardless of what actions or words he uses.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Ahh...This is how much you can tell I follow the royal family. I mean Prince Harry. Henry? My bad. Oh, and to add - we all have children who do things at some point that are distasteful. It doesn't mean we don't love them. It does mean we may disapprove or even be at times embarrassed by their actions.  In my own family I have some Harry's hidden and not so hidden.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Me too frogdawg. A few of them and some I don't even like to acknowledge.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I really don't care. I probably would if the British Monarchy actually ran the country, but they don't. SO Prince Harry has the right to be an idiot.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I dont know his mother personally, but considering she was engaged to a middle eastern man I doubt these lack of values came from her. So yeah. He should be ashamed of himself, but racists rarely are.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 11:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2009