I'm getting mixed signals from my DD about PT. Help!

My daughter turned 2 in November. So she's 26 months old, and showing signs that she is ready for potty training:

-loves to sit on the potty when I go (with pants on)

-has brought me diapers when she wants to be changed

-tells me, "I pooped", immediately following a BM

However, I've started the "every 20 minutes" routine with her (setting the timer for every 20 minutes and taking her each time it goes off), and she screams bloody murder if when I pull her pants down and sit her on her potty.

I have tried distractions, like singing and even bribed her with pieces of candy (not a good idea, I know and stopped). Reading a story seems to help slightly... I can get her mind off of what's happening somewhat, but she's constantly on the verge of crying. Thoughts?

AmysPureRomance

Asked by AmysPureRomance at 10:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, remember that newborn babies can tell you that their diaper is dirty and they want a clean one. Not liking a wet or dirty diaper helps but is not really a readiness sign.

My daughter hated to sit on the potty too. She wouldn't sit there for more than 5 seconds no matter what I tried. So I waited until she was willing to sit there. In the meantime, every time I changed her diaper, I talked about how she would use the potty one day and wear panties like mommy. I'd ask her if mommy went peepee in her panties. I'd ask her where mommy DID go peepee and poopoo. I kept it light and waited. One day, at about 27 months, she was willing to sit on the potty long enough to go. Yeah!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2009