Motrin and under 6 months

My dd is teething and tylenol and teething tablets have not helped with the extreme nightwaking. My pedi recommended trying Mortin, but I see that it is only supposed to be for 6 months and up. He said that you can go by the weight rather than age. My dd is 5 months and weighs 15 lbs, would you feel comfortable giving her Motrin?

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here's a dosing chart by weight:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• If the doctor said to use it, give it a shot. It is dosed by weight.

Word of warning....if you give it without food and the baby throws up, after 4 hours try another dose with a fullstomach. If the baby throws up again, don't give motrin any more unless you want the baby to keep throwing up.

My oldest (and me for that matter) projectile vomit on it, and my second son gets a very upset tummy from it. I'm not even going to offer it to my youngest.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I gave my daughter motrin at less than 6 months I believe...you can call a pharmacy to get the correct dosage...because the box says for that young to call a dr. I can't remember how much they told me, but I remember it was the smallest dose I could measure out, like 0.8ML or something...call and double check before you give it. As long as you give the correct amount it shouldn't be a issue, and it will help your baby!
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I guess it would depend on how close she is to 6 months. The reason you shouldn't give motrin before 6 months is because their kidneys aren't developed enough to process it. So if she is almost 6 months I would feel safe giving it... if she just turned 5 months I don't think I would.

I totally feel for you on the night wakings my son is teething right now too and is up 4-6 times every night! We just started giving Motrin this week (he will be 6 months Thursday) I have to say it hasn't helped much... although we have been getting a longer stretch from the first time he goes down 3-4 hours rather than 2.. he was still up 4 times last night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• aww I'm sorry!! Personaly our doc said no to motrin or anything other than tylenol until she's 6 months.. granted for my daughter that's next week LOL.. but I really feel for you, have you tried some Orajel?
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• At that age and weight, and with your doctors support and dosing information, I'd give it a shot. I find that Motrin works better on my kids for fevers and teething, but it gives them the $hit$.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2009