• In the Spotlight:

Cat question

Hi! Our cat is drooling excessively. I am going to take her to the vet today as I looked online and it doesn't look like something that I should adopt a wait and see attitude about. My question is, have any of you experienced this and what did it turn out to be? (She is not normally a drooler. )

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2009 in Pets

• The only time my cat was drooling excessively, he had something caught in the back of his mouth. He had to be anesthetized to get it out. I believe their are metabolic conditions that can cause this too. Just listen closely to your Vet, and truely consider any tests they suggest.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• My aunt had gotten this cat from this animal rescue...he was drooling when she picked him up already in the carrier. We took him to the emergency vet and it turned out he was starting to get like heat stroke. So definitely consider the testing.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We had a cat for three years, then bought a sweet Golden Retriever puppy. Well, Mr. Kitty did NOT appreciate the addition to the family as you can imagine. He had moods where he would just avoid the dog, but occasionally would come out of the bedroom (HIS domain!!) simply to hiss at the dog, antagonize the puppy until the dog would chase the cat. After running around together and getting REALLY ticked off, the cat would lay down, start to pant, and start drooling. The first time it happened, they were together in the car and we thought the cat was having a seizure. The vet ran $600 (!!!) worth of tests, only to tell us that it was just the cat over-exerting himself ~ kinda like sweating and that the tests showed he was perfectly healthy. It's happened again since then, and we just have to lie the cat down and squirt some water in his mouth with an eye-dropper and keep him quiet for awhile, then he gets better.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I had a drooly cat. Turned out to be a badly abscessed tooth.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• One of our cats drooled every time he went to the vet's- it was nerves.

Answer by Bmat at 6:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• She has a virus, a couple swollen lymph nodes. She wants us to keep an eye on her, but thinks basically she has a cold.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Our cat drools when we pet her. She has drips like crazy. We call her droolly. She drips all over the place. Sometimes she will walk across my pillow at night and drip in my hair! Gross! She has always done this.(all her life) She is 10 years old! The vet says it is just a reaction that some cats have when they are contented and happy with being pet or pleased by something. (kneading a soft blanket) Sometimes she shakes her head and we get a shower even when we are not exactly right next to her! We do love her though!
    Anonymous